More #@(*^&$#!!!!!!!!!!! updates.

Reaction score
After a really bad day of attempting to fly (after running off annoying relatives) I got frustrated and packed it in. Litchi and DJI GO both had problems. DJI GO says I need to update aircraft, camera, and battery. I just did updates a few days ago on the P3A and the RC and it screwed up everything. I finally got to where I could fly. So today DJI Go goes to hell. Weak video transmission signal. No FPV or flight logistics. So I start over with Litchi. Sound feedback as far as flight logistics have so mush static they can barely be understood. Then the app crashes while I'm at about 250 ft. and 1/4 mile out. Not a very merry Christmas while trying to just fly and relieve some stress. I'm thoroughly pissed off. Can we stop upgrades for a while? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Both apps worked great until I did upgrades. Now my P3A is almost useless. I'm just venting a bit. I know eventually everything will work out.

I recently asked one of the DJI "Reps" on the DJI Forum about updates and signal strength. His response was "We've claimed every change in our release note . These changes can hardly effect the communication range ." So make what you will of his statement. I will have to say myself and one other pilot I know have also been experiencing video transmission problems since this last update. I was getting great range with 1.4, now things are different.....

I recently asked one of the DJI "Reps" on the DJI Forum about updates and signal strength. His response was "We've claimed every change in our release note . These changes can hardly effect the communication range ." So make what you will of his statement. I will have to say myself and one other pilot I know have also been experiencing video transmission problems since this last update. I was getting great range with 1.4, now things are different.....

Upgrades in features is one thing. I love it. we have "Waypoint Missions, POI, Follow Me, Orbit, Panorama, etc. But I think it's time to slow down with new features an create a stable platform. I'm new to this (less than a year) but it's getting frustrating when my pre-flight check keeps telling me I need to update firmware and apps. So I spend a day updating and then things don't work. It makes you want to say WTF and sell what you have and move on.

Frankly I'm still on the fence about doing the 1.6 update. It's always focused on 'oh, this is a must do update to fix something.' But I have nothing to fix as everything is working perfectly at 1.5. I don't even have battery problems. I'm gonna resist the urge to update just because,and actually stay happy.

Agree with Shockwave. At one point you just say "enough" and live with what's working. My two P3Ps are perfect. I'm done updating. I dealt with this with Pro Tools and my MacBook Pros. I'm done with all updates and will live with what I have until failure or old age or sale!

Sent from my PT beating heart

The last 'battery' update has made getting in the air a chore. I've found that restarting the tablet after the app is loaded is the best solution. DJI definitely screwed something up, but they won't fess up to it until the next update as a glitch fix.

I'd say DON'T update if you have a P3A. I have to fight to get video feed. Not fun... thinking about rolling back actually.

I will get my p3a on Monday.. So do you advice me to keep with the version that will come with?

Living in the 'relatively' warm winter air in Tucson, I've chosen not to do the upgrade. I'll save that if I decide to suffer a bit and travel to Northern Yukon this January (Not!).

Frankly I'm still on the fence about doing the 1.6 update. It's always focused on 'oh, this is a must do update to fix something.' But I have nothing to fix as everything is working perfectly at 1.5. I don't even have battery problems. I'm gonna resist the urge to update just because,and actually stay happy.

If everything's working don't do a thing. Trust me on this. I've wasted two days of flying fighting the screw ups that updates have caused. Firmware on the P3A, and RC, then uninstalling and reinstalling Litchi and DJI GO and things are still not working right. I'll be up early tomorrow to start from scratch. I've got a commercial property job to start Wednesday and I need the P3A and apps to work. I'm too pissed tonight to work with it anymore. Sometimes it's best to walk away and start with a clear head the next day. At least I hope I have a clear head. These cold beers are going down good right now. ;)

I never had any problems with 1.5 either... until I attempted to fly with a battery showing 61% charge in the winter. Point is... that problem you have... might cause a crash.

Reactions: TrynFlyn
What I don't understand is that many reports surfaced about battery troubles and this firmware comes out to fix the battery situation... in cold weather? What does that have to do with all the reports of problems when it was warm out? Why is it not just the fix for the battery situation overall? So if it's cold out I'm safe but this spring and summer I'm at risk again? Can't this be an all tempacheer, like the detergent? Meh.

I am still flying with:

P3A: W322 @ 1.04.0010
RC: GL300A @ 1.04.0001
Litchi v2.6.5

Never leaving these versions. But, I may try a newer version of Litchi someday.

It wasn't worth getting in the air yesterday. Today's list of problems after a checkout this morning. This is with the DJI GO app.

Aircraft warming up message stays on.
O% warning even though the battery is fully charged.
Image format stuck on RAW.
Slave requests gimbal control keeps popping up.

It looks like another day not being able to fly. The P3A was fine until I upgraded firmware on the aircraft and RC.

I've found it's more difficult to get to "ready to fly" with the GO app than Litchi. Litchi is now my default app.

Another thing I hadn't contemplated was new living room furniture, in which the sofa has (2) power recliners,
and the table has a bunch of metal hardware in it... THIS I found to be part of my problems. Having said that,
the DJI GO App still has issues connecting outside in the middle of an open field. Litchi usually connects without issue.

Process:
Turn on Controller
Turn on Phantom 3
Launch DJI GO App (Airplane mode, all other programs closed)
[NOT CONNECTED] Signal strength poor
Restart tablet
Restart DJI GO App
[IMU Warming up] for a loooong time then eventually [Safe to Fly - GPS]
(sometimes I get the [NOT CONNECTED] again)

Before the last update I NEVER went through all this B.S..

Tonite I'm trying to roll back the Phantom 3 to the 1.5.3 firmware. The batteries are
updated, I wonder if they'll roll back too?? Though at his point I don't really care.

I've found it's more difficult to get to "ready to fly" with the GO app than Litchi. Litchi is now my default app.

Another thing I hadn't contemplated was new living room furniture, in which the sofa has (2) power recliners,
and the table has a bunch of metal hardware in it... THIS I found to be part of my problems. Having said that,
the DJI GO App still has issues connecting outside in the middle of an open field. Litchi usually connects without issue.

Process:
Turn on Controller
Turn on Phantom 3
Launch DJI GO App (Airplane mode, all other programs closed)
[NOT CONNECTED] Signal strength poor
Restart tablet
Restart DJI GO App
[IMU Warming up] for a loooong time then eventually [Safe to Fly - GPS]
(sometimes I get the [NOT CONNECTED] again)

Before the last update I NEVER went through all this B.S..

Tonite I'm trying to roll back the Phantom 3 to the 1.5.3 firmware. The batteries are
updated, I wonder if they'll roll back too?? Though at his point I don't really care.

Something I just posted on another thread here.

"It's done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I can tell I'm back in business. I must have spent at least 12 hours (maybe more) but finally have the aircraft and RC updated. Litchi and DJI GO seem to both be working. What a nightmare. To all of my fellow pilots here on Phantom Pilots you have no idea how much I appreciate your input and advice. It's been a learning experience that I hope I never have to repeat. Unless something screws up I can take my stepson out tomorrow and show off the bird and then film some at the beach next week. What a relief. Time for a few beers and some aspirin to get rid of my headache. Thanks again to everybody. I love this forum!"

Just for comparison, my old motor P3P with GL300A RC updated with no problem with 1.6. I performed a cold IMU calibration, and of course a compass calibration too. The bird seems to fly predictably and I have no connection problems. It's just slower at horizontal acceleration, and about half the speed of vertical ascent at full throttle (5mph vs. 11mph before). I'm disappointed in DJI with their solution to their battery issue. They had other options without ruining the snappy performance on a full charge. Looking back I should have stayed on 1.4. Darn.

Just for comparison, my old motor P3P with GL300A RC updated with no problem with 1.6. I performed a cold IMU calibration, and of course a compass calibration too. The bird seems to fly predictably and I have no connection problems. It's just slower at horizontal acceleration, and about half the speed of vertical ascent at full throttle (5mph vs. 11mph before). I'm disappointed in DJI with their solution to their battery issue. They had other options without ruining the snappy performance on a full charge. Looking back I should have stayed on 1.4. Darn.

On my P2V I opened the shell, installed a jumper, and did a hard reboot. I didn't want to do that with my new P3A since it would void any warranty I might have. I have a controller, battery, and charger from my P2V that apparently went down in a lake. Maybe I can get a few bucks for that stuff. It's not doing me any good.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic