More Quads flying high with FAA approval

Reaction score
Can't ignore positive news. More jobs for our world of pilots coming soon.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPdjM0K0xc[/youtube]

Only 11 companies now have an exemption.
That's beyond pitiful. The number is still so close to zero that you can't say it's more, like it's a positive.
And that's without mentioning that they are required to have qualified airplane pilots operating them!!

Meta4 said:
That's beyond pitiful. The number is still so close to zero that you can't say it's more, like it's a positive.
And that's without mentioning that they are required to have qualified airplane pilots operating them!!

It was zero. The reason is due to the FAA not having a set of policies or structured guidelines in place. The supreme court has basically told the FAA to get going on this.

flyNfrank said:
The reason is due to the FAA not having a set of policies or structured guidelines in place.
But, they do. The problem is that they are the same set of rules that manned aircraft follow. A lot don't apply well to UAVs.

These companies filed an exemption request to get approval for commercial usage. So, there is a way to do that as well. There are some unreasonable rules that must be followed in order to get that exemption though.

Has anyone actually LOOKED at the process to file for a waiver?!? I mean can it be any more convoluted?

First, you must register your aircraft which only costs you $5.00... Oh, by the way, the form you need to register can't be downloaded or filled out online. No, you have to obtain that from from either the FAA mother ship or one of the FSDO's near you.

Then, IF that is accepted, you can file for a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization. Again, more red tape to swim through.

Then, IF that is accepted, you can finally file for the Certificate of Waiver or Authorization.

Really? So if I want to fly over a business and sell that really cool picture I took of that business to the owner, I need to go through all of the stuff above and hope that each step is approved. Has anyone gone through any process with the FAA? Have any idea how slow the process is per sheet of paper?? I'll run through two sets of batteries before anything even gets looked at!

As I've said in other posts, "The FAA.... we're not happy until YOU are not happy!"

Couchie said:
Has anyone actually LOOKED at the process to file for a waiver?!? I mean can it be any more convoluted?
The process is not convoluted by any means. However, you do have to jump through a lot of hoops and it does take a lot of time to complete each step. The steps are nicely laid out at the following link:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_prog ... a_petition

It appears the FAA is requiring people to have a private pilot certificate in order to get an exemption. That applies to those that have been approved so far anyhow. If that holds true going forward, I'm assuming that's going to be a deal breaker for almost everyone who wants exemption for commercial purposes.

Couchie said:
Have any idea how slow the process is per sheet of paper??
I am right now.

I probably used the wrong word in 'convoluted'. Maybe frustrating is more like it.

Here is one issue I see. As a private pilot, you can not 'charge' for flying or any part of it. You can however share the pro rate costs of a flight. This includes fuel, oil, landing fees, or the specific costs of operating the craft. If that is carried through to us as UAS pilots, what is our pro rata share of a flight?

As a commercial pilot, I am good and can charge for my services as I fly under the right circumstances. It costs a lot of money, time, and energy to get to the point of a commercial license.

This will be an interesting venture!

I plan on giving this a shot too and may just document this venture as well.

I'm sure there are a lot of private pilots flying drones. I have my private pilot's license. I can tell you there isn't much from flying a plane that can transfer over to flying a quad. It's really not a lot of help. For example, I hardly ever crashed into trees when flying my Cesna but still managed it with my drone on day 1. :) Most competent quad pilots could easily fly circles around a flyer with just his private pilot's license.

So that's a stupid requirement.

What might be smarter is to require the quad pilot to have liability insurance for commercial flying. I joined the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada. Membership comes with $5 million in liability insurance. I'm sure most countries have something similar.

Couchie said:
Here is one issue I see. As a private pilot, you can not 'charge' for flying or any part of it. You can however share the pro rate costs of a flight.
There are many issues with the existing FAA rules. That is why one must file a petition with the FAA to get exemption from certain rules.

rbhamilton said:
I have my private pilot's license. I can tell you there isn't much from flying a plane that can transfer over to flying a quad.
True. But, the FAA claims they do not have the power to override that rule.

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31072&p=284483#p284483

The license requirement is a statutory one.

It's not a claim as much as it's the current law so the 'power' to override or waive isn't there.

I suspect that the requirement for a license to operate commercially is driven by two things:

1 - it proves you have at least a minimum knowledge of airspace, operating rules for aircraft, and an understanding of the NAS

2 - It gives the FAA something to use in enforcement actions. They can revoke your license which then removes your ability to operate legally.

I guess they would have the power to override it though if they were in agreement that a Phantom is not an aircraft.

SilentAV8R said:
it proves you have at least a minimum knowledge of airspace, operating rules for aircraft, and an understanding of the NAS
And, how exactly does that help you fly your Phantom 50 feet or so in the air so you can capture photos for real estate purposes?

N017RW said:
The license requirement is a statutory one.
For more details:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-201 ... c44711.pdf

Here's an interesting section:
(A) without an airman certificate authorizing the airman to serve in the capacity for
which the certificate was issued; or (B) in violation of a term of the certificate or a regulation prescribed or order issued
under section 44701(a) or (b) or any of sections 44702–44716 of this title;
There is no airman certificate issued for the purpose of flying a Phantom. So, it seems there is a loophole here.

flyNfrank said:
Meta4 said:

It was zero. The reason is due to the FAA not having a set of policies or structured guidelines in place. The supreme court has basically told the FAA to get going on this.

That's what makes me nervous. The more they feel a sense of urgency, the more likely those dolts in DC will come up with completely unreasonable laws.

msinger said:
SilentAV8R said:
it proves you have at least a minimum knowledge of airspace, operating rules for aircraft, and an understanding of the NAS
And, how exactly does that help you fly your Phantom 50 feet or so in the air so you can capture photos for real estate purposes?

Because the FAA knows that way too many Phantom pilots, along with many other sUAS pilots, do NOT stay below 50 feet. They need an administrative hammer to hold over a pilot's head.

And it is not designed so much to help you to take pictures of homes, it is there to make sure you know the "rules of the road" so you can avoid causing issues for others.

SilentAV8R said:
it is there to make sure you know the "rules of the road" so you can avoid causing issues for others.
And, obtaining a private pilot certificate will make sure you know the rules of the road for flying a UAV? I don't buy that for a second.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20