More idiots ruining it for everyone (new CA bill proposed)

I don't believe States can enact any laws governing airspace, as the FAA is the agency tasked with that job. In my humble opinion, of course. Someone will be along shortly to educate us, I bet.

............... A rogue segment has taken over forums and are openly encouraging other immature flyers to disregard all guidelines and get into trouble. I have been wandering how many of these big talkers actually do everything they encourage others to do, and how many will put their $$$ where their mouths are and pay legal defense costs for those they encourage to engage in irresponsible behavior. :rolleyes:
Funny, another view is that actual "pilots", those who fly airplanes and such, are trying to "take over forums" and push their aircraft flight rules on us mere hobby and recreational flyers. See how that works?

States and even Counties can enact laws they deem fit for the safety of their residents. The laws will be worded to such a degree as to not impose upon airspace regulation. Instead, they will make it difficult to operate from parks, public lands and so on. They could also require prior permission to leave your own property with a drone.

There are so many ways to write a law that would impact this hobby without encroaching on the authority of the FAA it's ridiculous. And if they DO encroach, and the feds don't force them to change it, will YOU spend the money to sue them in court to repeal or modify that law?

States have broad powers when it comes to their own borders. They also have the ability to disregard federal laws that go against their State Constitution. As an example. The Federal government has tried to implement certain gun laws. However, MANY States have made it a State crime for Federal agents to even enforce Federal laws.

Knowing how the government works at each level is going to make people realize how their own lack of caring about following basic guidelines results in over-reaching, to me anyway, laws.

Funny, another view is that actual "pilots", those who fly airplanes and such, are trying to "take over forums" and push their aircraft flight rules on us mere hobby and recreational flyers. See how that works?
I no longer fly for medical reasons, limited to my P3P to get my fix. See how that works?:p

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I no longer fly for medical reasons, limited to my P3P to get my fix. See how that works?:p
But surely you get my point? You "were" a pilot, some "are" pilots, and they're the ones screamimg the loudest. Face it, I'm not going to have to go through flight school and learn to fly an airplane, just to fly my quad copter. Ain't gonna happen, no way no how. No matter how much ya'll scream and yell.

But surely you get my point? You "were" a pilot, some "are" pilots, and they're the ones screamimg the loudest. Face it, I'm not going to have to go through flight school and learn to fly an airplane, just to fly my quad copter. Ain't gonna happen, no way no how. No matter how much ya'll scream and yell.

Show me one example of someone who is demanding you do so.

Oh, sure they'll try. They always do. That's government for you. Some have already tried, and have been informed in the error of their ways. Of course these were about commercial flying, but the point is, local entities cannot superscede the FAA in managing the airspace.

California banner-tow ban nixed; Hawaii’s ban could be next

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...anner-tow-ban-nixed-hawaiis-ban-could-be-next

States and even Counties can enact laws they deem fit for the safety of their residents. The laws will be worded to such a degree as to not impose upon airspace regulation. Instead, they will make it difficult to operate from parks, public lands and so on. They could also require prior permission to leave your own property with a drone.

There are so many ways to write a law that would impact this hobby without encroaching on the authority of the FAA it's ridiculous. And if they DO encroach, and the feds don't force them to change it, will YOU spend the money to sue them in court to repeal or modify that law?

States have broad powers when it comes to their own borders. They also have the ability to disregard federal laws that go against their State Constitution. As an example. The Federal government has tried to implement certain gun laws. However, MANY States have made it a State crime for Federal agents to even enforce Federal laws.

Knowing how the government works at each level is going to make people realize how their own lack of caring about following basic guidelines results in over-reaching, to me anyway, laws.

Show me one example of someone who is demanding you do so.
Oh my gosh! Really?! Read "any" of the contentious threads about rules and laws for hobby flyers! I would add a LOL here, but some here think that's not befitting of "older" folks. LOL!!

Please understand...................... I'm on YOUR side! I hate to read the stories of the idiot flyers! I'm all for following the guidelines. I'm just saying you're going to have to draw a line between aircraft and hobby drones when it comes to actual laws on the books. Well, until later this year anyway. Hopefully they'll get the new rules written up and implemented.

Where did you read the requirement? FAA has not made a move against recreational flyers, only set commercial operations standards. Having said that, any dridiot who operates in the NAS (national airspace system) like the rocket scientists trying to see how high they can go (the freaking manual tells you how high!) then posts it on the web can expect contact by the FAA.

R/C flyers lived without the FAA for years by following AMA guidelines; until the high performance UAVs in the hands of low performance flyers attracted the feds attention. We did it to ourselves. The best solution is self policing. I plant to alert my local FSDO (flight standards district office) of any stupid video that appears to violate safety guidelines.

Oh my gosh! Really?! Read "any" of the contentious threads about rules and laws for hobby flyers! I would add a LOL here, but some here think that's not befitting of "older" folks. LOL!!

All I'm asking is for you to show me a specific post on these forums where a pilot is demanding that recreational drone fliers go through pilot ground school to be able to fly these things.

All I'm asking is for you to show me a specific post on these forums where a pilot is demanding that recreational drone fliers go through pilot ground school to be able to fly these things.
Well, I can't do that. I probably worded that wrong. My point was the "overall" voices of contention here are the actual pilots. I'll concede it was bad wording on my part.

I don't think we need to jump on the "crush" Snerd bandwagon. He get's it. He's one of the responsible flyers. What I THINK he is saying is that FAA certified pilots are currently making a lot of noise about drones and that would make sense to me. Pilots (who are currently flying) are the ones at most risk to a collision and they are the ones that know airspace regulations and the dangers of objects in their flight path.

But you should also know that pilots are pilots because they love flight. That INCLUDES drones. Many have them I'm 100% certain.

I don't think we need to jump on the "crush" Snerd bandwagon. He get's it. He's one of the responsible flyers. What I THINK he is saying is that FAA certified pilots are currently making a lot of noise about drones and that would make sense to me. Pilots (who are currently flying) are the ones at most risk to a collision and they are the ones that know airspace regulations and the dangers of objects in their flight path.

But you should also know that pilots are pilots because they love flight. That INCLUDES drones. Many have them I'm 100% certain.
Now why didn't it come out that way when I typed it?! :D

Yes, what you said. I don't wax eloquent for sure.

You do fine. You almost always seem to have something good to add. I hope I can build a legacy here as good as yours brother. I tend to say too much sometimes....:(

I'm not jumping on any bandwagon. I prefer to drive myself. That attitude has caused me a bit of trouble over the years. I've just never been one to go with the popular opinion or bent if it disagrees with my own. That's likely why I retired as an E7 and not a higher rank. ;)

I don't argue just for the sake of argument. I'd much rather watch paint dry.

Snerd has a lot of good, common sense things to say about this hobby and I enjoy his comments tremendously. He and I have had few points of contention. The very few we have had, he has remained as respectful as I could hope for and I, in turn, have treated him with such.

I take great pains to not alienate others. But some are alienated no matter how fragile you treat them. Luckily, Snerd isn't one of those people.

Reactions: GoodnNuff and snerd
Not to mention names but someone just bragged about how about how far he flew his bird. Sir you have no solutions as you are part of the problem so it's time you get off your soap box.

To be honest, you are the first I've seen with this theory. Nor do I recall pilots calling for regulations on ANY of the drone forums I am on.
Seriously.

I'd like to see such a post too.

Edit: Not on the bash Snerd bandwagon either. In fact I've always respected Snerd's posts and opinions, which is why I'm curious about where he has seen such posts...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic