More idiots ruining it for everyone (new CA bill proposed)

".............. The bill would grant "immunity to any emergency responder who damages an unmanned aircraft in the course of firefighting, air ambulance, or search-and-rescue operations." The bill will also levy stiff fines and potentially even jail time for people whose UAVs inhibit an emergency response........"

Sadly, that's the only way to get through to the ever-growing segment of plain old dumb-asses. It is what it is.

As much as I dislike the 'Lawyering' that goes on around here,
How does the/a State nullify a Federal Law/Statute/What-have-you that prevents any interference with an aircraft in flight?

Reactions: SilverStone641
I don't see why they didn't just drop the retardent or water anyway.

Sent from my PT beating heart

I don't see why they didn't just drop the retardent or water anyway.
Mix fear and ignorance with bureaucratic policy and anything that looks like a drone gets all air ops grounded. There doesn't actually have to be a drone, just the possible sighting.

IIR what I heard or read somewhere, there were two a/c involved, a DC10, and a Heli. The DC was able to drop elsewhere but the Heli didn't/couldn't.

Take it for what it cost ya'.

I agree... Just drop the stuff. Why would they worry about a 3 pound RC quad copter? They do get more overtime I suppose. Now even a bird will come in as a RC sighting. Pathetic.

I remember seeing a YouTube video where a guy was flying his Phantom in a park in Virginia over a river and waterfall. A police helicopter tried a couple of times to down the drone by hovering overhead. I don't know how close the helo was to the Phantom, but the pilot retreated. That helo pilot didn't seem very concerned for the safety of his craft by trying to down a drone with it.

I found the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverStone641
I agree... Just drop the stuff. Why would they worry about a 3 pound RC quad copter? They do get more overtime I suppose. Now even a bird will come in as a RC sighting. Pathetic.

When driving do you avoid debris on the road or do you run it over because you're in a 1.5-2 ton vehicle?

I remember seeing a YouTube video where a guy was flying his Phantom in a park in Virginia over a river and waterfall. A police helicopter tried a couple of times to down the drone by hovering overhead. I don't know how close the helo was to the Phantom, but the pilot retreated. That helo pilot didn't seem very concerned for the safety of his craft by trying to down a drone with it.

I found the video.

I wish I was shocked by his belligerent defiance that he was in the right, but sadly I'm not. What a fool. Gorgeous terrain and I'd be tempted to fly there myself but the risk of harming the community would overshadow my need for a great river shot. I particularly like all the Youtube commenters taking him to task. Sad that there are also as many comments telling him to "just go for it".

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Unlike drones, when an aircraft comes through, birds get the flock out of the way!

".............. The bill would grant "immunity to any emergency responder who damages an unmanned aircraft in the course of firefighting, air ambulance, or search-and-rescue operations." The bill will also levy stiff fines and potentially even jail time for people whose UAVs inhibit an emergency response........"

Sadly, that's the only way to get through to the ever-growing segment of plain old dumb-asses. It is what it is.
We can thank all the dridiots who flaunt their reckless activities for this response to stupidity; all this hassle just so some dweeb can post a youtube video.

Didn't someone here just brag about going as high as they could in a thread here somewhere then pretty much flip his tail at anyone who dared mention safety or others? Julius something or another?

When driving do you avoid debris on the road or do you run it over because you're in a 1.5-2 ton vehicle?

Yes, I totally agree with you... the little drone will stop the fire retardant from hitting the fire. You make a great point.

Yes, I totally agree with you... the little drone will stop the fire retardant from hitting the fire. You make a great point.

Too bad you missed it.
But hey if you need fodder for your snark, it's my pleasure!

I found the video.

The park dept has too much money if they are putting up a helicopter just to down a cheap quadcopter. The Director of the department should be fired for wasting public funds.

What a lot of people seem to overlook is that the FAA is a federal entity.

States can enact rules, regulations and laws independent of federal laws. The old saying we used in the Army is true here.

You can add too, but not take away from, the regulations. Big Army has their regulations which must be followed. Each lower chain of command can add to those regulations but they cannot arbitrarily choose to disregard the regulations from higher. This is why I'm left SMDH when people insist on arguing about how FAA guidelines are JUST guidelines while they fly their drones at high altitudes.

Keep up the irresponsible practice of posting videos of your 1500' flights or long range, out of LOS flights, and States will take it upon themselves to add to, or simply create, their own regulations and laws concerning our hobby.

What a lot of people seem to overlook is that the FAA is a federal entity.

States can enact rules, regulations and laws independent of federal laws. The old saying we used in the Army is true here.

You can add too, but not take away from, the regulations. Big Army has their regulations which must be followed. Each lower chain of command can add to those regulations but they cannot arbitrarily choose to disregard the regulations from higher. This is why I'm left SMDH when people insist on arguing about how FAA guidelines are JUST guidelines while they fly their drones at high altitudes.

Keep up the irresponsible practice of posting videos of your 1500' flights or long range, out of LOS flights, and States will take it upon themselves to add to, or simply create, their own regulations and laws concerning our hobby.
Very well stated;). Unfortunately for those of us who fly professionally and follow FAA and AMA guidelines; a perfect storm has been reached. High performance UAVs are now available to anyone with a grand to spend. Money does not equal common sense.

A rogue segment has taken over forums and are openly encouraging other immature flyers to disregard all guidelines and get into trouble. I have been wandering how many of these big talkers actually do everything they encourage others to do, and how many will put their $$$ where their mouths are and pay legal defense costs for those they encourage to engage in irresponsible behavior. :rolleyes:

Very well stated;). Unfortunately for those of us who fly professionally and follow FAA and AMA guidelines; a perfect storm has been reached. High performance UAVs are now available to anyone with a grand to spend. Money does not equal common sense.

A rogue segment has taken over forums and are openly encouraging other immature flyers to disregard all guidelines and get into trouble. I have been wandering how many of these big talkers actually do everything they encourage others to do, and how many will put their $$$ where their mouths are and pay legal defense costs for those they encourage to engage in irresponsible behavior. :rolleyes:

I "liked" your post. Very well stated my friend.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj