More evidence Kp index a non-issue for MRs?

N017RW

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Lots of mention of the aurora borealis visible in some northern states recently. This means increased or acute solar activity.

Any reports of suspected correlate-able issues with drone operations (or anything)?

I am admittedly indifferent and pay NO mind to the Kp index. Just asking.

The magnetic fluctuations that result from solar storms impacts space operations (satellites etc.), large-area terrestrial operations such as power grids, and radio wave propagation through the ionosphere. Realistically, the only effect that might be seen is on GPS accuracy. Assuming that it is not strong enough to disrupt the actual GPS constellation, severe disturbances can still invalidate the correction model for propagation of GPS signals through the ionosphere, increasing the positional fix error by up to an order of magnitude. It's generally only a problem at higher latitudes (> 60°) and at night.

The magnetic fluctuations that result from solar storms impacts space operations (satellites etc.), large-area terrestrial operations such as power grids, and radio wave propagation through the ionosphere. Realistically, the only effect that might be seen is on GPS accuracy. Assuming that it is not strong enough to disrupt the actual GPS constellation, severe disturbances can still invalidate the correction model for propagation of GPS signals through the ionosphere, increasing the positional fix error by up to an order of magnitude. It's generally only a problem at higher latitudes (> 60°) and at night.
Yes but......oh never mind, I didn't understand most of what you said. ;)

Nice explanation of an often confusing subject for some, I love it when people talk dirty... On one of the local forums I belong to, they have started posting up the daily KP index and any numbers in red are sending some members into a spin and causing them to not fly etc until the threat abates. Good for me as there will less people around when I want to fly. I'll start worrying when my sat Nav sends me to Mongolia or my radar detector has me clocked at 300 kph.

Reactions: sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1