Montana flyers beware

First it was Mississippi, then Washington, and now Montana. I think Texas might've been in there as well, but it seems like more states are trying to get started with the regulation of drones. I just hope they don't get too crazy with the regulations down the road. I'm probably just overthinking things again, but you never know.

Montana suggested a bill that doesn't mean it passed. I think they are more worried about things like guys using them to track game etc. I am still planning on taking mine out there this summer. However I don't plan on being a idiot with mine, harassing people or extended hovering over people I don't know. Just aerial shots of where we are fishing etc.... The problem is that some drone pilots just don't use common sense...

I think your biggest worry in this neck of the woods is the wind sneaking up on you. You may also notice reduced flight times due to the altitude. Bring a tracking device, Big Sky = lotsa ground. ;)

Yet another Chicken Little reaction of the sheeple.

catchingchrome said:
Montana suggested a bill that doesn't mean it passed. I think they are more worried about things like guys using them to track game etc. I am still planning on taking mine out there this summer. However I don't plan on being a idiot with mine, harassing people or extended hovering over people I don't know. Just aerial shots of where we are fishing etc.... The problem is that some drone pilots just don't use common sense...

It already is illegal in Montana to use them to track game for hunting, this is a new bill. I realize that it doesn't mean it'll pass but given the misconception of our sport and the fear of some concerning these, it may have a good chance of doing so. I just got done sending an email to the senator that introduced this bill in the state legislature asking him that he reconsider/reword his bill, the email reads as follows:

Jeff, I am contacting you concerning your recent bill that you submitted to the state legislature concerning drones and the harassment of hunters/fisherman. Myself, being a fisherman like you, and the owner of a drone, agree that the harassment of hunters and fisherman shouldn’t be allowed by any means. I feel that your legislation, the way it is currently written, is to vague which could result in unfair charges being brought upon those of us that fly drones for pleasure in the interest of getting a different view of the world that one would otherwise not see. I myself fly mine in the interest of capturing video of our beautiful state again from a different perspective, and have no intention what so ever of invading anyones privacy, spying on, or harassing any individuals. But what concerns me about the way your bill is written is if by chance I should fly in the area where hunting or fishing is taking place, my intentions could be misinterpreted as harassment resulting in the possibility of improper charges being brought upon myself. What I feel you need to do is change your bill to read that ANY harassment of any hunter/fisherman should be illegal be it by drone, or individuals and the ground such as protesters trying to disrupt a hunt by following and interfering a hunt or by any other means, and not make it specific to drones. I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my comments and I hope you take my comments into consideration concerning this bill and change it accordingly. If you have any questions you’d like to ask me, or would like to see one of these drones in action, please feel free to contact me.

Lots of space in Montana to fly even if tough restrictions are passed, and the independent attitude of most Montanans I know will not allow laws that are based in poor reasoning to interfere with their owns plans to enjoy this sport.

madsonp Just don't send it to one but to all of them !! That's what we did here and not sure if that's what killed it or not but we just kept sending the same one over and over to try and just worry the hxll out of them and get their attention ;) If the one you sent that to is the one that wants it ya know he will just delete it !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31