Monitor Question - wifi - cellular

Reaction score
Upgrading from Phantom 2 to Phantom 3 Pro.

I see folks mentioning wifi or cellular with regards to a monitor.

I would like to confirm, before I purchase a monitor, you don't HAVE to have wifi or cellular on your monitor do you? Never mind app installation, just talking about using the monitor for flying.

Tx

You do not need a cellular connection on your mobile device.

People often buy cellular Apple mobile devices because they have a GPS receiver. You'll need GPS on your mobile device if you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to your current location after takeoff. If you have no use for those features, then you don't need GPS on your mobile device.

Also, if you have a cellular connection, you can download the maps when you're at your flying location. Without a cellular connection, you'll either need to cache the maps before you head out or tether your mobile device to a phone.

Thank you, I appreciate that, Now, with the Phantom 2, You can reset the home point after take off by a flick of the switch on the remote. Does the 3 pro not do that? Doesn't the gps lock from the bird to the GPS?

tx

In DJI GO, you can reset the home point to your Phantom's current location (using the GPS receiver within your Phantom) or your current location (using the GPS receiver within your mobile device).

There are few tablets out there that also have gps without the cellular.
Nvidia Shield is one of them.
Acer Iconia is another.

Hi. I'm a total newbie. Trying to foond the right thread, but I'm sure you guys can help.

Ive just bought the phantom3 Pro. I've got a samsung Tab 4 7inch, BUT, i have read far too many threads about issues with android, inlcuding App crashing, time lag etc. So, as much as I dont; want to spend more money (my wife is already on my case!), I don;tt want to put my bird in the air with any extra risk.

So, I'm looking at getting another Tablet, most likley to have next to no issues. I used to be an Apple person, until I realised their products just didn't meet my business needs; and so I went to Android (Samsung ever since).

From what i've read, it pains me to say that the IPAD Mini 2 or higher looks like ot gets the best wraps. But, I'd rather not go there.

Can someone advise if the NVidia sHIELD k1 would be one of the best options if I stuck with Android? I will use this tablet solely for flying my P3.

If so, is a 16gb model sufficient, obvioulsy with expandable SD memory.

Can someone confirm i definitely DO NOT NEED a cellular model?

Thank you for your help.

I use a Nvidia Shield K1. I like it a lot. I only use it for flying my Phantom so it's dedicated just for that use.
It has GPS and you can also screen record with it. It is built into the Tablet. Other tablet may or may not have that capability and if they don't you will have to add a third party app to do that for you if you are interested in having that capability
I have also use an ACER Iconia Tab 8. Had some screen lag issues with it. Nothing really bad but enough to make me want to lok at something different..
They all run pretty much in the same price range give or take 75 dollars.

You can go here to see a list of tablets and (or) phones that are compatible with the drones.
Also should be listed some reputable dealers for these tablets.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Hi. I'm a total newbie. Trying to foond the right thread, but I'm sure you guys can help.

Ive just bought the phantom3 Pro. I've got a samsung Tab 4 7inch, BUT, i have read far too many threads about issues with android, inlcuding App crashing, time lag etc. So, as much as I dont; want to spend more money (my wife is already on my case!), I don;tt want to put my bird in the air with any extra risk.

So, I'm looking at getting another Tablet, most likley to have next to no issues. I used to be an Apple person, until I realised their products just didn't meet my business needs; and so I went to Android (Samsung ever since).

From what i've read, it pains me to say that the IPAD Mini 2 or higher looks like ot gets the best wraps. But, I'd rather not go there.

Can someone advise if the NVidia sHIELD k1 would be one of the best options if I stuck with Android? I will use this tablet solely for flying my P3.

Thank you for your help.

lol
I see that the same about apple app and ios issues all the time as well.
I suspect issues most are with border line hardware and conficting apps individuals install in both....

that said for 200 dollar the shield k1 works super and has some really nice memory and video features built in.

Thank you for your help.
I have the Samsung Tab 4 7inch also and it works fine... only complaint is the 16gb memory as there is no way to have the low res videos+stills from the DJI Go ap store them to an external sd card... [and yes I realize they are low res - but handy to have on the tablet to show people who ask] I am going to concentrate on mapping for income... looking at the iPad Mini2... Aloha

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik