Monitor advice.

Reaction score
Newbie here.
Just bought a P3P. I've been looking at the Samsung
SM-T817W for a monitor. It's not on "The List". Is anyone
using it? Will it work? Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Assuming that means the Galaxy Tab S2, it should be fine. Others are using the Tab 4 and S without problem. Worst case, it doesn't work and you return it.

Thank you for the reply.
The other thing I want to make sure I have right is the cellular service needed. I've done some searching and just got confused. I'm not very tech savvy. It is needed to download the GO app, but is it needed for flying? To get maps? Could someone clarify this?
Thanks.

Cell service is not needed. Wifi is and Gps is. With the wifi you can download whatever app you need. Make sure your device has gps and you should be fine. I use a neutab g7 with a 7 inch screen and no cell service and I love it. Cost me $99. With that you can use a gps app and check out the area you want to fly while you are home or whatever and have wifi. The maps of the area will be cached in your device's memory and will come up when you need them later while flying in the outback or on safari or northern Greenland or wherever. Hope this helps.

OK. Cell not needed.
I live out in the country. I'm not even sure I have wifi.

Marknmd
I read your post a couple of times.
I think I have it now.
Ipads need cellular to get gps.
Android devices usually have gps.
Any apps ( "GO" and maps) can be downloaded using wifi at home.
Have I got it right?
I think it's starting to sink in.
No need for an expensive tablet when a cheaper one will work.
Thanks.

You're close but not quite there.

IPads are similar to Androids, but most agree that iPads are better designed and better made. The screen is sharper, brighter, and the touch mechanism works better, etc. Androids are simpler and cheaper and some say they have certain advantages. And the two products have a complete different operating system. Hence, software for one won't work for the other.

IPads don't need cell service to get GPS. Both products (provided the specific Android has GPS capability built in) have to have GPS capability, and then they also have to have a GPS app of some sort.

The advantage of having a device that gets cell service is that when you're flying around with your Phantom app and look at the satellite image of the area your flying in, your cell-service device can bring that photo to you via the nearest cell tower. If you don't have that cell service, you're going to get a blank map unless you thought ahead. You're going to have to have the map already loaded into your device before you fly because you're already using your wifi to communicate with the Phantom, aren't you? And besides, you likely won't have wifi in your flying area, unless you are flying right outside your house or you happen to be right outside a Starbucks or something. But if you did have an active wifi connection, you'd still have to effectively download the photo maps manually before you fly. Your device can't connect to two wifi connections at the same time.

In summary, it's best to have cell service on your device. It's easier. But it's not "needed."

Hope this helps.

Marknmd
I read your post a couple of times.
I think I have it now.
Ipads need cellular to get gps.
Android devices usually have gps.
Any apps ( "GO" and maps) can be downloaded using wifi at home.
Have I got it right?
I think it's starting to sink in.
No need for an expensive tablet when a cheaper one will work.
Thanks.
Yes, you are 100% correct. Please ignore Marknmd's follow up post, it is almost entirely incorrect and confusing.

He did contradict himself it appears.
That's why I am looking for a straight and simple answer.
bbfpv- how would a person get a map of an area they hadn't expected to fly in?
Thanks.

Yes, you are 100% correct. Please ignore Marknmd's follow up post, it is almost entirely incorrect and confusing.
Why would you diss my post and not follow up yourself?

iPads do not need cellar to get gps. That's a fact. There is nothing to be confused about.

Why would you diss my post and not follow up yourself?

iPads do not need cellar to get gps. That's a fact. There is nothing to be confused about.

There isn't a wifi only iPad on the planet w/ GPS built in. The cellular chip in the pad is what contains the GPS chip, mainly because it piggybacks off the cellular connection to provide "assisted GPS", ie GPS locks happen faster because it triangulates your position as well as uses sat lock. Show me a wifi only iPad w/ native GPS. A "GPS app" is also not required to use GPS and/or cache maps. It can be done natively in the Go app. Furthermore, your assessment of wifi is completely incorrect as well, considering that the P3, which the OP states he owns, does not use wifi to connect to the device running the Go app. And there was no "diss" intended. Spreading misinformation to new flyers is what causes confusion.

Re iPads, I thought there was, but only because I googled it first. I personally don't use an iPad for flying or for GPS.

Why Have a GPS When You Have an iPad?

Re the Go App, yes, of course it is capable of getting GPS. It is a GPS app was my meaning. For example, my Android has GPS capability but didn't come with an app that would make it work.

My point on the wifi was that if he is using a device that doesn't have cell service, he can get the maps via wifi before he flies. But yes, my post was confusing re the P3 using wifi.

Sorry for any confusion there. I should have seen "P3" in the OP and just stayed out of the thread. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: bbfpv

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20