Mods and additions

Reaction score
I got my Phantom a few days ago. After seeing a number of YouTube videos and gone through numerous forums before flying the bird I decided to mod it with a gimbal/camera protector which I've made out of a broken plastic tennis racquet. I also want to add a small GPS tracker I have just in case of a flyaway and a loss of power. These will be fastened to the Phantom with cable ties.

What are your opinions on these ?

The grid weighs 28g and the GPS tracker 57g totalling 85g ? Should I recalibrate anything or will the Phantom compensate for this slight weight increase ?

Your comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    668.3 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    640.3 KB · Views: 813
  • IMG_2064.JPG
    IMG_2064.JPG
    599.4 KB · Views: 854
Additional Gimbal Guard by Killer RC isn't going to hurt either, it replaces the back plate

Attachments

• Killer RC Gimbal Gd.jpg
    Killer RC Gimbal Gd.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 851
grongu, nice mod! How is that attached to the landing gear? If needed, you might want to add a few plastic zip ties to each side to ensure that piece doesn't pop out if you crash.

FYI, if you want to drop some weight, here's a carbon fiber version of your mod:
http://www.uavbits.net/store/p4/Carbon_ ... _P2V_.html

msinger as I said in my original post I will fasten everything with cable ties (or zip ties). When 'machining' the grid I left some 'teeth' on each side which go into the empty space of the landing gear. These can be seen in my first image above.

Got it. I thought you were referring to securing the tracker when you mentioned the cable ties.

To answer your question, there are no settings that can be tweaked to compensate for the weight on the back. The Phantom should adjust itself to keep itself upright.

knowonecares said:
Additional Gimbal Guard by Killer RC isn't going to hurt either, it replaces the back plate
Just received mine today and installed it - beautiful piece of workmanship.

UgashikBob, I don't have a source, but you can find the screw sizes in this thread.

I have the same tracker, i used 3m velcro tape, however on its first crash the tape ripped clean off the phantom, i have know passed a cable tie through the tracker hoop and around a leg, at least this way if it separates it should stay within 2 inches of the craft

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31