Modified range extender

Reaction score
I modified my phantom vision range extender yesterday to allow for external antennas and wanted to pass along some issues I had. There is a transparent plastic piece for the LEDs that is not attached to the housing. I did not realize this and dropped it on my way to the garage to make the holes in the case. I took about an hour to find it which with a flashlight looking for it on the ground. The next problem I had was drilling the plastic cover. I started with a pilot hole and went for a 1/4 inch drill next. This did not work well. The 1/4 inch drill bit is too aggressive and grabbed the case. Luckily it did not break the case but could of been dangerous. Used a slightly bigger washer to cover the less then perfect hole. I am not sure what is the best method for drilling plastic maybe stick with a high speed dremel tool or work up in steps with the drill bits. Besides those problems everything else went well.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419941727.134335.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419941727.134335.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 605
The best way to drill is with a variable speed drill and drill very slowly. Or even just drill it by hand with the bit. Its really soft plastic and if you have a nice shape drill bit it dont take to long to do if twisting by hand.

That sounds like what I should of done. Instead I used a drill press, not a good idea. I am use to working with wood not plastic.

I have to agree with J.J on the drilling. Must be done very slowly so when/if it does catch you can stop and back up.
Good to read it all came out OK.

don't mean to hijack this thread but what exactly does a range extender do? and any links to a video for step by step instructions on how to install one? I am not sure if i need a range extender or not but I notice that the connection between the phantom and my cell phone isn't the best.....would this help my issue?

1st_time_flyer said:
don't mean to hijack this thread but what exactly does a range extender do? and any links to a video for step by step instructions on how to install one? I am not sure if i need a range extender or not but I notice that the connection between the phantom and my cell phone isn't the best.....would this help my issue?
It is the first thing you turn on. It is connected to your controller. It is what makes first person view on your phone or tablet work.
Which quad do you have?

it looks like this

wifi-extender-vision-1.jpg

Its provided for the Vision and Vision plus, and as stated it connects the camera to the DJI app and increases the range of the FPV system

crash1sttime said:
it looks like this

wifi-extender-vision-1.jpg

Its provided for the Vision and Vision plus, and as stated it connects the camera to the DJI app and increases the range of the FPV system

Yes I understand what the wifi extended is but is there a way to have it go even further maybe I worded my reply the wrong way.

The DJI range extenders are needed to connect to the phantom vision and vision + but they will not work for other ones.

But there are other standard wifi range extenders that will work with other cameras to get some more range. But most all of them also require a big bulky set up once you have the wifi extender as well as a battey of some kind rigged up to power it and also moded antennas to go with them to. and most of them even tho they will give you some more range then what you can get on most cell phones they still dont go very far. Usually only about 300m or so.

But there is an easier way to get more range with out all the bulky set up and hassle of a repeater and also much farther range then a repeater. Get your self an old kindle fire or other tablet that has good wifi and you can use that directly to get your fpv. I use a kindle for my fC40 and was getting about 400+ meters. On the stock set up. Then I moded it to have an external antenna and getting about 600-800 meters depending on conditions and were I'm flying.

When drilling plastic it is best to use a Uni-Bit or stepbit, they will not grab and rip their way through the plastic.

unibit-step-drill-sets-496.jpg

Uni-Bits are nice to because if you have any burrs around the hole you can hit the edge with the next size step and clean up the edge and they will put a chamfered edge on it. And in plastic they are real easy to turn by hand to. Only draw back is some times you need to have enough clearance to get the bit in far enough to cut what ever size hole you want with out hitting any thing such as if you are trying to drill a hole without removing the circuit board.
I need to get some of these drill bits

But I have a few from from harbor freight that are surprisingly pretty nice. You can get one of the chubby stubby ones for $5.99 and they are just about as good as some one my much higher priced brand name ones. They hold up well even drilling lots of sheet and plate steel. So for plastic and soft stuff they will never ware out on some one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4