modified props

Reaction score
hi just got my new P3A this week and ive started modifying it already but is it worth buying different props or are the standard ones perfectly ok?
any benefits??
cheers

The overwhelming majority of folks who have tried 3rd party props and reported here have removed them in favor of DJI branded props.

The props are part of a 'tuned' system including the motors and ESC (f/w).

Why fix it if ain't broken, the best props fot the phantom 3 are the original props.....period, one of the items that you dont want to experiment with, you loose a prop on flight you are going to crash, why take a chance, stick with the original props.

Reactions: robsquad
The lifeblood of you new Phantom are the props and battery.
I NEVER use props or batteries that are not DJI packaged and purchased from an authorized DJI dealer.

DJI c-f reinforced types are fine.

I don't know how 'carbon reinforced' they are. They do not appear to be made out of carbon-fiber sheets like typical high strength carbon fiber products. They are black. They supposedly fracture faster than the white ones. That might be good (energy dissipated vs. transferred to rest of copter) or bad (nasty shards flying everywhere). They are branded so presumably they are OK.

Many IM plastics are reinforced with fibers.
This is just a bit of marketing hype and clearly differentiates them from the stereo-typical woven-cloth/epoxy you are referring to.

What about the carbon props they are lighter and stronger?
I taught that was a good upgrade? :confused:

The CF props are the same as the plastic props, you won't notice any difference.

I'm thinking about coming out with a new product.... a carbon fiber pet rock. I'd know I'd sell millions of them. They are CF after all.

Reactions: BigAl07
My carbon fiber props have aluminum hubs and are 100% carbon fiber. They weigh a little less than the stock blades and are twice as quiet. The maneuverability, speed, ascent, and breaking all seem to be the same as the stock blades. All in all I have no problem using them. I'm sure there are some junky ones out there- I took a chance on Ebay and got lucky I guess.

Actually the CF-reinforced props are stiffer than the nylon ones. That should yeld different response in some situations for sure, but it´s hard to tell just by flying the P3. I feel the CF ones are slightly quieter but can´t tell any difference in performance to be honest.

Out of pure personal preference (i.e. not for performance) I like to use them when its windy. I also fancy the metal hub ones but those are not CF-reinforced, just the hub is metal. Any DJI prop will be fine, really. I do fly CF (real) props with my other ACs but wouldn´t fly anything else on my P3.

Adding carbon fibers to the plastic mix is a common tecnique in industry, used whenever you want different characteristics in regards to strenght, stiffness, etc. It´s not snake oil or hype, just engineering. Whether or not it affects the performance or by how much is another discussion altogether. But of course that´s the whole purpose. Either way, they don´t cost much more so it´s worth a try if you´re curious.

Yes, you "thought" correct!! ;-)
The self tightening props are thought to resist coming loose, as the metal hubs may, with the Phantom 3 having active braking motors.

RedHotPoker

Indeed they do thread in and out easier than the plastic ones, which leads to believe they could come out during flight. But in my experience it doesn't occur at all, not even when doing fast and sharp maneuvers with the P3.

I've been using them for a few months now without an issue, they're just as good as any other from DJI. Just make sure they're tight before taking off - but that's common procedure for me anyway, regardless of prop type, so I guess they're OK! ;)

Reactions: Solar Deity
DJI do not recommend anything other than composite hubs. The standard props that come with the phantom preform really well. I don't understand anyone wanting to replace them - especially with metal hub versions that are not recommended. It only takes one incident for the prop to fly off - and then it'll all go tits up.

Have any of you other guys tried the metal hub ones?
Problems yes... no... maybe?

I've used for many flights the metal hub ones borrowed from P2V+ without any issue (to tell the truth they seems more stable to me...), but now I'm using plain DJI original P3 white props (the proprs in the standard P3 package).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik