MODDING-ORGANIZATION; suggestion

Reaction score
I have been a card carrying member of Phantom Pilots, for about 2 months now. At first the "Modification Sections", such as the More Powerful Repeater & RotorPixel Gimbel are intimidating to a novice R/C Hobbyist as I am. I can just imagine what it's like for a beginner with zero experience as to the terms thrown around in the two sections mentionioned.
From the first day of joining PP's I knew that I would want Mod my "Repeater", "Gimbel", & dress up the clinical looking white color of the P2V. I had no problem with the "make-over", I read just a few posts & the rest was easy. As for the other 2 Mod's, "Faa-get-ahh-bout-it"!!! :eek:.
I have spent over 50+ hours reading posts, watching instructional videos,additional research on the web, and phone conferences with various experts. That 50+ hours ud a VERY conserrvative estimate! I'm actually too embarrassed doing an actual time account... :oops:
There is such a moving target on how fast several of the "NASA engineers" in here move from a.Modification b.Test Results from the Mod. c.a summary,parts needed,description, instruction and directions.
When I say NASA ENGINEERS, I'm using the term as a compliment to some very bright folks that are giving their knowledge,research, and time on this website for free!
I just wish we had a section that could outline modification parameters more efficiently.
EXAMPLE:

A. P2V owner/pilot who would like to have his "Repeater Range" modded to give an increased range of 25%.
B. " " " " " " " " " of 50%.
AND SO ON.

IF YOU WANT 25% INCREASED RANGE TRY THIS:
1. Buy 2 widgets @ Amazon part #'s 1-2-15
2. Install them like this;
************a. Utube video x
************b. Written directions
************c. Examples of results with photos

I understand that this would be time consuming, it would require a member/moderator to build such examples.
*I am fortunate that I am retired.
*The list of actual responsibilities that I have, could actually fit in my "avatar section" to the right!

I think that Pull-Up is close behind me with free time, or he is a Vampire who doesn't sleep.! :shock: lol :cool:
I would have no problem volunteering my time to organize a particular modification section.

I know that this type of organization could have saved me over 30 hours of research.

THOUGHTS???SUGGESTIONS.??

MOOSE

I think themosttoys & PVflyer (our leading NASA RF scientists ;) ) are almost done experimenting, however a new generation of antennas designed for P2V's has just come on the market and some are testing these as well. Truly there may never be an end to it, but they have successfully extended range & reception to distances which would make most of uncomfortable to even think about (4km for instance). Each has posted separate threads for the work they'v completed and/or are currently working on so you might search their Usernames, then the have a look at their recent posts.

As far a modding in general, the topic has been raised several times and is still under consideration. Meanwhile you are encouraged to fearlessly use the Report button on any objectionable post which immediately sends it to Adam's attention. The button appears as an exclamation pint (!) near the top right of every posting.

And welcome to the forum, yes it sometimes looks like middle school high-school at times, but there are plenty more respectable folks than not and will often rally when someone is being chided or attacked w/o provocation or reason.

iDrone :D

Pull_Up said:
(Psst, I think he meant "modding" as in modifying, not as in moderating. But I might be wrong. ;) )

Exactly, I was not familiar with that term 2 months ago, actually heard it 1st hear. Moderators are awesome, compared to other similar type sites this one runs smooth as far as what the moderators are for.
Moose

I also agree that it would be a good idea. So far some of the mods you have mentioned have been a work in progress but there seems to be some concensus building as to what are the best ways forward. I have dipped into so e of the threads and have learned a lot (had never really understood how RF was polarised before).

It could be done with a wiki - quite easy to set one up - just need a volunteer !

Edit: I could set one up but have not got the time to curate it on my own. If anyone wants to help, please pm me.

I for one would like to have something that gives more range than stock but without all the clutter on the radio or a tripod.
I don't need to go miles away. Just better than stock. I've read all the threads and understand its a work in progress.
But it would be nice to be able to see what you need to go a certain distance.
I realize that we have to add stuff to the radio and repeater. But some of the stuff I saw look like my dad's old tv antenna he had in his roof :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj