Mixed feelings

Reaction score
Anyone else have mixed feelings on the rules and regs the FAA has set up? Or about how DJI and others market their drones? I know this is all new territory and they are still sorting things out, but I get a little frustrated when I'm trying to start up as a commercial pilot and DJI puts out all these promo vids that pretty much break all the rules and even some common sense practices. Maybe I'm a stick in the mud but I don't want drones to become the new smartphones and end up banned everywhere because there's 23 Sparks in the air at some state park.

I saw the spark DJI videos but they are legally under the FAA eyes. They are not flying over people or cars. These are far away.

But if your drone is following behind you and your cell phone is in your pocket you aren't keeping it in line of sight or under direct control.

Anyone else have mixed feelings on the rules and regs the FAA has set up? Or about how DJI and others market their drones? I know this is all new territory and they are still sorting things out, but I get a little frustrated when I'm trying to start up as a commercial pilot and DJI puts out all these promo vids that pretty much break all the rules and even some common sense practices. Maybe I'm a stick in the mud but I don't want drones to become the new smartphones and end up banned everywhere because there's 23 Sparks in the air at some state park.

No mixed feelings.
Having flown r/c aircraft since the 70s I'm shocked at the attitudes of some and the ways and places they choose to fly these things.

Regarding advert images... Remember the US only comprises ~5% of world's population. Don't know about % of DJI sales or if different images are used in ads outside of US.

I'm with N017RW here. Having been in this industry for 4 decades now I'm appalled at a LOT of what I see happening and "accepted" each and every day. We had decades of safe and FUN flying because it was in a controlled and "Experienced" environment. Not so much any more.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Sometimes I think I am the only person that has no issues with the FAA's rules, laws, recommendations, whatever you want to call them. They are non-invasive, reasonable, guidelines that if followed should make it safe for all.

Reactions: BigAl07
I don't have a problem with the FAA rules, I have a problem with the lack of focus on non-professional pilots, and the fact that the rules seem to apply to licensed pilots and not everyone. Or they do apply, but I don't know how you would know the rules unless you studied for the 107 test. I'd hate to see my state enact a total ban because a bunch of yahoos did something stupid. I'm looking around to see if there are any organizations that lobby for better rules for licensed pilots.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan