Mission Planner (FPV Camera – iOS Waypoints App) Available Now

This does indeed look like a very interesting app and mission planning is the one thing I need to be able to do. However The mission planning YouTube video does not have any narration so it's a little difficult to fully understand this from a new user's point of view.
Worth to watch Mission Planner Tutorials for details.

Just updated to v.3

I see the video panorama WITH yaw speed control !!

I wish all developers listened to their customers as well as you guys do !!

Thanks!
We were aware and reported by a few users, aircraft might drift in panorama mode. This is a known issue of DJI SDK and hope DJI will fix it soon. Fly safe!

Hello,
I want to ask for a new tool: draw/erarser pen
DJI Go had it but it has been removed in the last firmware (I've already asked DJI to add it again)
I want to fly freely knowing the area where I have to record.
It will be useful to save drawings.
Thank you

Just installed 3.1. I really like the terrain elevation and the added telemetry options, well done!

I have a couple of XA suggestions.

Not a biggie, but in the settings screen, if the custom telemetry items could be dragged up and down in the list to adjust their order would be very nice.

More important (to me) would be a way to set a larger maximum text for waypoint/poi data on the screen. When you zoom in for a close look, the text only zooms so far and then reaches it's limit. The limit is still quite small on an ipad air2, BTW, I have the same complaint with Google Maps. You can zoom as close as you want, but street names and details remain tiny. I realize if the text kept zooming, then it would overfill the screen. But in most cases, I am zooming way in to read details, and it doesn't help if everything BUT the details increase in size. Maybe there is a way that the user could make the maximum zoom of the text a bit larger if they wish. Please consider this. some of us are operating with older eyes!

Terrain Elevation.
I had made a comment about what #'s are displayed at a waypoint, but I have given it some more thought.

The benefit of knowing the terrain elevation when you're setting your waypoints is obvious. Maybe the Waypoint dialog could be changed to set the waypoint elevation height above the TERRAIN ELEVATION instead of above HOME POINT ELEVATION. That would be a HUGE improvement. The height above home point elevation is rather irrelevant, and the true home point in the field may be different than the planned home point elevation anyway. With this scheme, you could have a waypoint only display 2 #s instead of 3 !

For a future suggestion, I would like to see the app provide 2 things related to elevation data. The highest elevation within 100 meters of the mission plan, and a warning if the flight path as planned would be closer than 5 meters of the ground elevation. Perhaps these 2 numbers could be set by the user in settings. Man made objects and vegetation could still interfere, but they are beyond the scope of software.

Thanks guys, you're doing a great job!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brent10
Just installed 3.1. I really like the terrain elevation and the added telemetry options, well done!

I have a couple of XA suggestions.

Not a biggie, but in the settings screen, if the custom telemetry items could be dragged up and down in the list to adjust their order would be very nice.

More important (to me) would be a way to set a larger maximum text for waypoint/poi data on the screen. When you zoom in for a close look, the text only zooms so far and then reaches it's limit. The limit is still quite small on an ipad air2, BTW, I have the same complaint with Google Maps. You can zoom as close as you want, but street names and details remain tiny. I realize if the text kept zooming, then it would overfill the screen. But in most cases, I am zooming way in to read details, and it doesn't help if everything BUT the details increase in size. Maybe there is a way that the user could make the maximum zoom of the text a bit larger if they wish. Please consider this. some of us are operating with older eyes!

Terrain Elevation.
I had made a comment about what #'s are displayed at a waypoint, but I have given it some more thought.

The benefit of knowing the terrain elevation when you're setting your waypoints is obvious. Maybe the Waypoint dialog could be changed to set the waypoint elevation height above the TERRAIN ELEVATION instead of above HOME POINT ELEVATION. That would be a HUGE improvement. The height above home point elevation is rather irrelevant, and the true home point in the field may be different than the planned home point elevation anyway. With this scheme, you could have a waypoint only display 2 #s instead of 3 !

For a future suggestion, I would like to see the app provide 2 things related to elevation data. The highest elevation within 100 meters of the mission plan, and a warning if the flight path as planned would be closer than 5 meters of the ground elevation. Perhaps these 2 numbers could be set by the user in settings. Man made objects and vegetation could still interfere, but they are beyond the scope of software.

Thanks guys, you're doing a great job!
Thanks for your suggestions. Changing text size during zoom in/out is resources demanding to the app.

DJI drones use Height (aka above home point level) for waypoint settings, thus it's important to keep it as master reference. We will explore practical ways to improve the usability.

Thanks for your suggestions. Changing text size during zoom in/out is resources demanding to the app.
DJI drones use Height (aka above home point level) for waypoint settings, thus it's important to keep it as master reference. We will explore practical ways to improve the usability.

I guess we're stuck with what DJI offers. If you give it some thought, the height above Home Point for a waypoint is meaningless unless you are operating in very flat terrain. If in varying terrain, setting a waypoint based upon the elevation of the takeoff point could easily lead to crashing your craft into the ground if you do not pay very close attention, and do your math with regard to the terrain elevation. If, on the other hand, you set your waypoint elevation based upon the elevation of the ground at that point, you would never run into this problem. I would be very interested in why you would think that a waypoint's elevation is more important to be tied to the take off point than the elevation of the terrain below it?

When flight planning for full scale pilot opps, The takeoff elevation is irrelevant with the exception of calculating density altitude. Just because DJI didn't think this through doesn't mean that others won't.

Anyway, this is just user input in order to try and help make this a pro tool. thanks again for all you've done.

Last edited:
I guess we're stuck with what DJI offers. If you give it some thought, the height above Home Point for a waypoint is meaningless unless you are operating in very flat terrain. If in varying terrain, setting a waypoint based upon the elevation of the takeoff point could easily lead to crashing your craft into the ground if you do not pay very close attention, and do your math with regard to the terrain elevation. If, on the other hand, you set your waypoint elevation based upon the elevation of the ground at that point, you would never run into this problem. I would be very interested in why you would think that a waypoint's elevation is more important to be tied to the take off point than the elevation of the terrain below it?

When flight planning for full scale pilot opps, The takeoff elevation is irrelevant with the exception of calculating density altitude. Just because DJI didn't think this through doesn't mean that others won't.

Anyway, this is just user input in order to try and help make this a pro tool. thanks again for all you've done.
Have you read the Terrain Elevation topic? I think it's easier to explain with a screenshot. When you change waypoint height, AGL is updated automatically for reference without doing the math yourself. However, all the DJI restrictions (such as 500m max height) are still applicable based on home point regardless AGL.

IMG_0410_800.jpg

Have you read the Terrain Elevation topic? I think it's easier to explain with a screenshot. When you change waypoint height, AGL is updated automatically for reference without doing the math yourself. However, all the DJI restrictions (such as 500m max height) are still applicable based on home point regardless AGL.

Yes, I understand. And that is a great improvement. But, it would be better (IMO) if the Waypoint dialog was setting the elevation of the waypoint in AGL. You could then show the height above home point as well if you find it useful.

Now:

1. Set waypoint elevation.
2. Look at map to see if waypoint elevation is showing a positive height AGL. Because it could be showing a positive height above the home point, But a negative height AGL depending on topography.

If the waypoint dialog set the waypoint in AGL, then the second step above (which is critical in hilly terrain) would be eliminated.

With regard to the 500m max elevation above homepoint, I understand. But again, that is just because dji engineers have not put in the work yet to make it work properly. The spirit of what they are doing is to keep the craft from going more than 500m Above Ground Level. But their app is not elevation aware other than reference to the take off point. Someday, when they up their game, the app (and craft) will be elevation aware and the home point relevance will be gone completely.

I understand you must work within what the sdk allows you to work with. I'm just trying to point out that just because something is the way dji presents it at the current time, is not necessarily the best operational way.

Attachments

• hp.jpg
    hp.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
[Edit 2015/12/18]: A new update of FPV Camera v2.0 is available in App Store now. What's new in Mission Planner:
• New: Introduce 2 new mission types - Panorama & Pano-WP
• New: Auto-tilt algorithm for smooth tilting upon changing targets in Target-WP mission
• New: Add Camera settings (Auto mode)
• New: RC C2 button to toggle between FPV & map view
• New: Prompt to confirm Stop mission and Pause/Resume mission
• New: Show distance between previous/next waypoints and aiming target for easy reference
• New: Context sensitive help "?" on each tab
• Fixed: Screen recorder reliability on some devices
• Fixed: Auto Recording couldn't start occasionally
• Fixed: When toggle FPV/map view, map might shift occasionally
• Fixed: Each "Stay" action would stay 3 seconds

[Edit 2015/11/20]: The new update of FPV Camera v1.3 (with Mission Planner) is available in iTunes App Store now. We also introduce a new All-In-One monthly subscription model in the new update. FPV Camera on the App Store

We have been conducting a private beta testing of Mission Planner in the past 3 weeks. We are about to start a small scale (round one) public beta testing, targeting 50 beta testers on iPad. If you are interested to join, please sign up at Beta Registration Form. We expect beta testers willing to provide feedback on problems/bugs and suggestions to improve the app.

We would like to share with you 2 videos of “Fly Multi-Target Mission” and “Setup Multi-Target Mission” to get an idea how it works.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mission Planner is an advanced ground station to program autonomous waypoint flight based on Google Map for creating superior footage. You can set maximum 99 waypoints in conjunction with multiple shooting targets in a single continuous mission. With aid of progressive Auto-Tilt gimbal control, it always keeps your targets right at the center of your footage with smooth camera tilting from one target to another even with some very difficult footage.

Mission Planner is powerful and easy to use. It guides you through mission setup step-by-step. You can plan your mission anywhere you like without requiring connection to RC or aircraft, then save the mission file on your iOS devices for future use like a document file.

A simple tutorial of RC pitch & yaw control in Mission Planner.

*** Important Notes to Beta Testers ***
Aircraft height (altimeter) may easily vary 20m (66ft) off the actual height after aircraft flying and heating up several minutes. You are recommended to set waypoint height minimum 25m (82ft). For example, if you set a waypoint height 25m, when aircraft reaches such waypoint 10 minutes later, the actual height might be only 5m (17ft) depending on the discrepancy of altimeter, though the altimeter is still reporting 25m height. This is likely a generic issue of DJI products family regardless apps or even without using app.

How might I find out which UAV platforms (i.e. Phantoms, Solos, S100) and various drones can be interfaced with mission planner? I have used mission planner in my UAV mapping class recently by we didn't actually load it into a UAV. We are looking into purchasing a drone for mapping research and most of the software flight planning suites that come with the drones are not as good as mission planner. I would like to get one (new drone) that works with the software.

Jay

How might I find out which UAV platforms (i.e. Phantoms, Solos, S100) and various drones can be interfaced with mission planner? I have used mission planner in my UAV mapping class recently by we didn't actually load it into a UAV. We are looking into purchasing a drone for mapping research and most of the software flight planning suites that come with the drones are not as good as mission planner. I would like to get one (new drone) that works with the software.

Jay

Hi jay fpvcamer/mission planner is now at v 3.1 supports all DJI Phantoms & inspires if your into mapping check out mappilot iOS

Sent from another a dimension [emoji89]

Not sure if this thread is monitored by Tony and longer. Is there a better place for those that avoid FB?

Sure wish Mission Planner had an option to display a histogram. Use Litchi instead for that reason alone. These are AP rigs, right? The data is already there. Why not let us choose to display it?

Cheers.

Why do we always see a waypoint limit of 99? The use of curved flight lines always provides a superior diversity of views as opposed to traditional (linear/parallel) flight lines; and the use of curved flight lines requires that we use more than 99 waypoints. Google "gently curved, convergent, non-traditional drone flight paths". The use of curved flight lines also mitigates the systematic SfM doming (elevation) error - along with the capture of oblique imagery.

The following research (with others) validates the use of curved flight lines.

Minimising systematic error surfaces in digital elevation models using oblique convergent imagery
Rene Wackrow

Jim H. Chandler
First published: 16 March 2011

https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1477-9730.2011.00623.x

Results of the simulation process, the laboratory test and the practical test are reported in this paper and demonstrate that an oblique convergent image configuration eradicates the systematic error surfaces which result from inaccurate lens distortion parameters. This approach is significant because by removing the need for an accurate lens model it effectively improves the accuracies of digital surface representations derived using consumer‐grade digital cameras. Carefully selected image configurations could therefore provide new opportunities for improving the quality of photogrammetrically acquired data.

For a visual comparison of curved (non-linear/non-parallel) vs traditional (linear/parallel) flight lines, refer to the attached images.
Is their a new version or update
What is the name of the program and who all out their is using it now
Please reply
Very interested
Thanks in advance
Jim

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members