Minor damage question

Reaction score
I did some very minor damage to the roll arm. Simply stated, a minor bend to the arm occurred from a fall after hitting a tree branch. Following the bump to the gimbal, I tested all components, replaced a damaged prop, and promptly returned to the air for a low altitude test flight. No issues were noted, everything works great. Honestly I didn't even see the bend until I went to install the gimbal clamp, and it now fits snug vs easy.
So my issue is: DJI suggest that transporting the P3 without the clamp would be bad, but I fear the clamp may put stress on the gimbal parts, like the motor and camera. Again, every aspect of the gimbal and camera are fully functional. A longer waypoint flight yesterday with Litchi at the control was perfect. Great video too.
Questions include but may not be limited to, fix it or let it go, use the gimbal clamp or trust the backpack to protect it? Lastly, should I expect this issue to cause any future issue I have not considered?
Appreciate all thoughtful responses and opinions.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I damaged an after-market gimbal I use on a P1. It was a slight bend, like you have. I simply had to put a shim under the GoPro to correct the slight tilt in the images the camera captures.

As far as the gimbal clamp on your P3, I purchased an aftermarket clamp that also serves as a lens cover. I prefer the fit, and I imagine it would accommodate the bend in your gimbal better than the DJI clamp

I did some very minor damage to the roll arm. Simply stated, a minor bend to the arm occurred from a fall after hitting a tree branch. Following the bump to the gimbal, I tested all components, replaced a damaged prop, and promptly returned to the air for a low altitude test flight. No issues were noted, everything works great. Honestly I didn't even see the bend until I went to install the gimbal clamp, and it now fits snug vs easy.
So my issue is: DJI suggest that transporting the P3 without the clamp would be bad, but I fear the clamp may put stress on the gimbal parts, like the motor and camera. Again, every aspect of the gimbal and camera are fully functional. A longer waypoint flight yesterday with Litchi at the control was perfect. Great video too.
Questions include but may not be limited to, fix it or let it go, use the gimbal clamp or trust the backpack to protect it? Lastly, should I expect this issue to cause any future issue I have not considered?

If all is good I would leave it. Concerning the gimbal clamp, I can never get the thing to stay on while transporting in my backpack. When I arrive at my destination it's always off. If everything moves freely and no cracks are evident, you can monitor it to insure all remains static and repair it if it worsens. That's my opinion.

I find the supplied gimbal clamp a pain in the *** to fit , the after sales clamp is far easyer to fit it also comes with a lens cap which is much needed

Reactions: spindrift
Thanks for the responses! I think I will holdout on the repair and look for an after market gimbal clamp as suggested.
Cheers

Do you have a link for the aftermarket gimble guard?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4