Minor crash, now motor off kilter

Reaction score
I suppose there isn't any such thing as a "minor crash"... but I had a relatively unimpressive incident the other day. Coming in for a landing and one of the props hit a fence, snapped the two tips off, and the Phantom dropped onto a dirt flower bed from about 6 feet in the air. After I took all the props off and fired it up, and successfully tested RC activations and camera control, I figured it wasn't any big deal. Went and got a new full set of props and thought I'd be back flying.

But now, one of the props scrapes against the top of the shell when it rotates. I presume it's the arm that hit the ground during the crash, and the structure has been compromised somehow. I tried tightening the motor mount screws, but they all seem good. Can I just get a new shell and put it on myself? Or does it need to go in for expert repair?

Thoughts?

Thanks captej.
I did check the bolts, they seemed good and are not stripped. The outside of the shell shows no sign of fracture at all. What else in the "arm" could be broken.

post video of rotor in travel. Also remove top of clam-shell body. Being plastic theoretically the arm could be "kicked" up near the motor causing that issue also. You should be able to set your aircraft on a level plain and look at arms (from the side) and tell if one of them is out of line.

Butch

More than likely arm is bent, it's common after a considerable crash. To answer your other question, yes you can purchase a new shell, they're about $60.

Thanks all!

I doubt very much that I'd be able to get a vid that is good enough to really show anything, unfortunately, captej. The scraping is so light. You really only hear it when the prop is under load.
I think I'll just go ahead and get a new shell... she's about due for a new dress anyway. ;-)

But... now that I'm looking... I'm seeing two different styles of shells for the P2V. One with a smaller rectangular hole where the camera mount attaches like my Phantom currently has (usually marked as "old style"), and one with a much larger, more rounded shaped hole (usually marked as "part 8" or "new style"). Will the newer style still fit my older P2V? Anyone know? Are there disadvantages to the newer style if I'm still going to use the FC200 camera? Are there advantages to the new style if I were thinking about moving up to a 2D gimbal?

I have a vision that was crashed and one of the arms was a tiny bit off kilter and I just bent it back but noticed one of the motors sits crooked in one of the other arms that is straight as can be. and an different motor in the spot sits crooked to so it wasn't the motor its self so started looking at it some more and I dont know how or why but it turns out the posts that the motor sits on are not right two of them a about 1mm shorter then the other. So I had to put 2 very skinny washers on them to shim the motors to sit perfect. Funny thing to is the washers I happened to use that were the perfect fit are from a bunch of WWI air plane machine gun heater kits I had. So lol I now have a 2014 era air craft with parts in it from 1913 bi plan era. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31