Minimum temperature to fly in?

Reaction score
It is the middle of Winter down here and while our Winters are normally not too bad, we are experiencing a particularly cold snap right now.
This made me a little concerned. What is the minimum temperature one can safely fly with LIPO batteries?
Are there any special precautions one should take?

You should be OK to around -10C
Below that it will typically be taken from a warm vehicle or house, and the internals won't have time to get especially cold before the battery starts producing its own heat - so should still be fine if the pilot can cope!
Storage you wouldn't want lipos below freezing I suspect - which could happen kept in a shed or unheated room.

The manual says -10C for the batteries, but since you asked about flying it also says the aircraft and remote min temp is 0C.

The manual says -10C for the batteries, but since you asked about flying it also says the aircraft and remote min temp is 0C.
Thanks to you both.

Well often it's 9C here in the winter time and often one of my batteries after around a 10 sec Imu warmup battery life if 85%. When it's warmer it's 100% so when it's cold you may not be getting 100% battery on charge.

Well often it's 9C here in the winter time and often one of my batteries after around a 10 sec Imu warmup battery life if 85%. When it's warmer it's 100% so when it's cold you may not be getting 100% battery on charge.

Indeed. Just come back from the park; after 2 x 5000 + ft flights in about 7 deg C, I had to land with only 18% left.
I didn't complain though! As 4wd said above, "if the pilot can cope!".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers