Minimum NFZ distance from airports?

Reaction score
Just passed my 107 exam last week.
And good thing because I have a job coming up shooting a property 1/2 mile from a class C airport.
Already talked to operations at the airport and they're ok with the location if I stay under 200'.
Now waiting to see if my request for an authorization will be granted. But it occurred to me that even if FAA allows it, I might have a problem with DJI's hard NFZ's in the app.

I know that in Chicago if I'm too close to our sports stadiums I can't even take off.
I've flown within 1.5 miles of Midway airport with no problem, but never as close as 1/2 mile. And no way to check without actually being in the location - which is several hours drive from me.
Anyone know the circumference of the hard Red NFZ around airports where you can't even start the motors?? In the DJI Go app?

There seem to be two lists of NFZ areas in the firmware, one has only XY coordinates and a radius set by a flyc property, second list has not only XY but also radius as part of the zone definition.

The flyc property is named g_config.airport_limit_cfg.cfg_search_radius_0 - I don't know its default value.

Also, I don't know it the value tells the radius where you can't take off, or the radius at which flight height starts to be limited.

The info above I mostly got from github. There is a tool to extract and modify the list of NFZs embedded in the firmware.

By github, I mean:
GitHub - mefistotelis/phantom-firmware-tools: Tools for handling DJI Phantom quadcopter firmwares.

Last edited:
Thanks. I think. I'm not a computer newbie by any means, but this is a bit over my head......

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic