Mini iosd?

Reaction score
Is there any way to change it to read height and distances in feet instead off meters.......Dave

I think the newest update allows that. Or you can just learn the metric system which is used by 99% of the world so if you should ever leave the country, you can look smart.

Ksc said:
I think the newest update allows that. Or you can just learn the metric system which is used by 99% of the world so if you should ever leave the country, you can look smart.

Actually, I'm pretty sure there is no metric/imperial toggle for the iOSD mini. All you can adjust are left/right offset and sat/distance/height warnings.

This whole metric imprerial issue is absolutley ridiculous. The option to read in Imperial or Metric should have been part of the original design. A Metric only readout is not an acceptable parameter when it comes to Navigation. PERIOD! I have used many Navigation systems on Civilian Aircraft as well as piloting boats and yachts. I have been a Yacht captain and Technician on vessels from 50' to 110' and have installed many complete Navigation systems. ALL Navi systems including GPS, Radar, Sonar etc. give the option to read in Imperial or Metric. i personally have never heard air traffic control give altitude in meters. (I have not flown in Europe or Asia) Maybe they do.

Using the Iosd mini for Real Time Nav. Info is worthless to those of us raised and experienced with Imperial Measurements.
Any professional Pilot or Captain or navigator will tell you how important it is to always scan your gauges and instruments. If your brain is trained in Imperial Measurements and you are scanning your instruments which are all in Metric, then you are wasting valuable time trying to quickly calculate and gain situational awareness.

I have been asking DJI to add this option (Which is something they could probably do in 10 minutes) but they keep saying it is not something that is that important.

Sorry for the rant but I bought the iosd mini expecting it would have the info I want to know when flying. IN IMPERIAL!

AFAIK, there is no option. But like the other poster said, it's a huge plus to know the metric system. It's used in 95% of the world and is way more logical in every aspect.

Speeds, distance, length and height are measured in Imperial in the U.S. Not metric.

Xrover said:
Speeds, distance, length and height are measured in Imperial in the U.S. Not metric.

Implying I said such a thing? Call me when the US cover 95% of the world.

Are you going to cry when you visit a country that doesn't use the Imperial system but the metric system. Mind = blown how most American refuse to teach themselves simple stuff like this.

In aviation instruments aircraft speed is typical measure in knots per second, per the International Civil Aviation Organization. Only a few countries, Russia and China, measure velocity in meters per second. The same is true for flight levels, per ICAO it based on feet, FL290 is 29,000 feet above mean sea level (MSL) where again, Russia bases its flight levels and separation rules using meters.

Should DJI been based in Japan, I would have expected the readings to be based on knots/sec and feet AGL (Above Ground Level) rather than in meters.

Cessna said:
In aviation instruments aircraft speed is typical measure in knots per second, per the International Civil Aviation Organization. Only a few countries, Russia and China, measure velocity in meters per second. The same is true for flight levels, per ICAO it based on feet, FL290 is 29,000 feet above mean sea level (MSL) where again, Russia bases its flight levels and separation rules using meters.

Should DJI been based in Japan, I would have expected the readings to be based on knots/sec and feet AGL (Above Ground Level) rather than in meters.

You are correct!
In Aviation, those are the standards.

That is what I am referring to.

Having your flight information displayed on your FPV should simulate Aviation type information and the iosd mini does display this info. However, if you want to view your data in typical aviation units of measurement then one would think that the iosd would do that. China uses the metric system and so does the majority of the world. My car is European and so where the yachts i had worked on. All Metric. I use the metric system on a daily bases. Most of my tools are Metric.

Specifically for Aviation and Navigation purposes, the world standards (Except Russia) are as described below.

These measurements are what I have learned and expect to view in an aviation environment.

Vertical Speed (VSI) is shown in Feet per Minute or Seconds.
Airspeed is in Nautical Miles per Hour (Knots)
Altimeter (Altitude) is in Feet
Fuel readings are in lbs. or gallons
Oil Pressure is in PSi.
Fuel Flow is normally Gallons per Hour.
Vacuum is normally in Inches of Mercury

The option to view flight data in traditional and industry standard units of measurement should be an option.

d4ddyo said:
speaking of iOsd...

what is P: R: on the display?

Az is heading?

P= Pitch Attitude. Degrees when nose is Pitching up or down.
R= Roll Attitude. Degrees when aircraft is rolling to the right or left.
AZ= Azimuth Angle. It's a horizontal Angle measured clockwise from the North Base Line to the line that goes through the home point and Aircraft Position. This one is a bit confusing to me.
It's not the heading of the Phantom. It's actually the location of the Phantom in compass degrees in relation to where the home Point is recorded.

I don't think there is a heading indicator on the iosd mini.

you guys are lucky we use both feet and meters here in Magna Britannica
MPH and then litres in the petrol stations .... and then when we have to go over to our old enemy France we use KPH ... oh the modern world

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers