Military GPS Knock Out !

dirkclod

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I found this on another of our sites and just brought it over here .
Sorry if posted already .
A NOTAM is warning operators of “all aircraft relying on GPS” of widespread GPS outages starting Tuesday throughout the Southwest and especially southern California. Although the FAA doesn’t go into detail, it seems the military is testing something that can disrupt GPS over a huge area, centered on China Lake, California, home of the Navy’s China Lake Naval Weapons Center. On Tuesday, June 7, the FAA is warning that GPS signals down to 50 feet AGL could be “unreliable or unavailable” between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. local time over a radius of 253 nautical miles, which includes the L.A. Basin, Bay area and Las Vegas. There will be further outages of similar potential duration June 9, 21,23, 28 and 30. The circles expand with altitude and at 40,000 feet the interference will affect a circular area of the Southwest 950 nautical miles across, reaching central Oregon, Colorado and New Mexico.

I found this on another of our sites and just brought it over here .
Sorry if posted already .
A NOTAM is warning operators of “all aircraft relying on GPS” of widespread GPS outages starting Tuesday throughout the Southwest and especially southern California. Although the FAA doesn’t go into detail, it seems the military is testing something that can disrupt GPS over a huge area, centered on China Lake, California, home of the Navy’s China Lake Naval Weapons Center. On Tuesday, June 7, the FAA is warning that GPS signals down to 50 feet AGL could be “unreliable or unavailable” between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. local time over a radius of 253 nautical miles, which includes the L.A. Basin, Bay area and Las Vegas. There will be further outages of similar potential duration June 9, 21,23, 28 and 30. The circles expand with altitude and at 40,000 feet the interference will affect a circular area of the Southwest 950 nautical miles across, reaching central Oregon, Colorado and New Mexico.
Thank you Sir.. Info that all in the west can use.
I know you don't live on the left coast, and for you to take the time to post this for your west coast brothers AND SISTERS is huge!!

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Thank you Sir.. Info that all in the west can use.
I know you don't live on the left coast, and for you to take the time to post this for your west coast brothers is huge!!
I just saw it and we all brothers and sisters here :)
I'm sure someone would of told us rednecks to watch out for something like that .
I think ;)

Reactions: Myetkt
I think we still gonna be ok since phantom 4 can use the Russian system Glonass .
Which is as accurate as GPS
GPS is not the only game in the space !!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think we still gonna be ok since phantom 4 can use the Russian system Glonass .

327jap45h60s5ti91uwhf373i.gif

Unless they are disrupting those signals too...
Putin Stare Down.png

Reactions: VVATC and Rocco
I do not think that we will ever try to mess with Putin , Glonass system is important for their military equipments and if they feel it is going to be affected they would not stay watching .

I do not think that we will ever try to mess with Putin , Glonass system is important for their military equipments and if they feel it is going to be affected they would not stay watching .

Disrupting GLONASS over US territory is not messing with Putin. If that inconveniences any Russian military operations then there are much bigger problems afoot.

When I was learning to fly with my FC40 I shall always remember the words of wisdom from my instructor.

Learn to fly in Atti mode because you have control of the a/c. GPS should only be used as a tool and you should not RELY on it.

Edit to add. If I remember, the instructor made us all fly with GPS disabled for the first twelve flights including the take offs and landings. We all had to jump in at the deep end first and all of us pupils agreed that was a good foundation for being a 'proper pilot' as the instructor described it.

Well, after all these years none of our club has lost an aircraft because of his advice. A few chipped props because of pilot error - yes - but no fly-a-ways.

YET ;)

Last edited:

OMG.....you ARE actually serious!!! ROFL ......! "Is not like it was in gdansk aye comrade"

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers