might be silly, is it safe to pull throttle stick all way down?

Reaction score
Hello
Yesterday I received my new P3Pro, I unboxed, charged and updated it and then i made some tests without props.

I come from Phantom 2 Vision plus, I do know that for this drone they encourage us to pull the throttle fully down to descend, or even "lock" it in that position.. They also say that motors will turn off 3 seconds after touch down.. I always followed this suggestion.. and it did work seamlessly..

Instead, I've noticed that with the 3 Pro on the table, without props, if I pull the throttle fully down, motors stop almost instantly, let's say with just a fraction of a second delay...

Now, before my first actual flight with this new drone, I wonder..If i pull the throttle fully down, or simply a little too much, do i run the risk of shutting down motors while still in flight? What's your experience?.. Am I stupid,? Perhaps I am, please tell me there is no reason to fear.. thanks :)

The motors will not stop until your Phantom stops descending for 3-5 seconds.

This is a situation where I'm not going to try to experience it. I never fully bring the throttle down completely. I read many threads where the bird has stopped in mid-air for absolutely nothing, after using it wildly. I'm still waiting for an convenient answer on that subject. Thanks for bringing it up.

This gets asked a couple of times per week.
This question is asked so often I have saved this reply so I don't have to type it out every time.

Do you really think DJI could be smart enough to design the P3 and have it crash when you descend for >3 secs?
Do you really think they wouldn't mention something like that in the manual?

If you are high enough you can hold the left stick down for 33 seconds and it still won't stop the motors until you have landed.
That's what the manual says and that's the way it works.
Hundreds of pilots have tested and confirmed this.
You can descend left stick full down and it WILL NOT stop the motors in flight.

Remember the "can we get a FAQ sticky" request that's been asked for about 40 billion times? Make it 40 billion and 1.

I can that I have been at 400 feet and pulled the throttle down full (I pushed the throttle up full to get to 400 feet).. I wanted to see the performance of the drone.. And no point did the motors stop... In fact, as it got within 10 feet of the ground, the bird slowed its descent as VPS kicked in.. (Yes, I let go of the stick at that point.)

Reactions: Daniel Voyer
well, I do trust in DJI, I'm sure they know what they are doing .I was asking why P3 DOES NOT WAIT for these 3 seconds if you pull down the throttle with the bird "on the kitchen table" while P2+ does...thanks for feedback anyway :)

well, I do trust in DJI, I'm sure they know what they are doing .I was asking why P3 DOES NOT WAIT for these 3 seconds if you pull down the throttle with the bird "on the kitchen table" while P2+ does...thanks for feedback anyway :)
Probably because it had already stopped descending for three seconds?

Reactions: Dadcat
Can I Please? Please?

:rolleyes:

Thanks

There is device called barometer built in every flight controller and if it senses movement (in this case descend) it will prevent motors from being stopped if throttle stick is all the way down.
Now when you are on the ground and your stick is all the way down and barometer doesn't sense any change in altitude, the motors stop. Pretty simple.
IF THEN, AND OR. :)

Reactions: Daniel Voyer
Can we PLEASE do a search before asking the same questions over and over? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

-slinger

HAHAHA!! This has GOT to be the winner for the MOST ASKED question on the forum, seems someone has this question every few days even though the answer is both in the manual and in numerous threads, search box??? I don't need no stinking search box!!! I will just start yet another thread.

Can we PLEASE do a search before asking the same questions over and over? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

-slinger
Gonna stick up for the newbie here as I am still pretty new and know how frustrating it can be looking for answers. The guy asked a question that has been asked before BUT it was abundantly clear in the title of the thread what he was asking so is it really that big a deal just to ignore it if it doesn't appy to you? I'm still getting used to how this site works, hopefully a bit more used to it and a bit less tiresome now as I'm sure I asked a few questions that were repeats but folk were gracious and still helped me. We aren't all forum experts so don't all know how to search for stuff and even if we do, might not know what to search under. Happy for you that you have got it all sussed, but still sensitive enough to know there are many new droners coming into this fantastic hobby of ours who need help. :)

Gonna stick up for the newbie here as I am still pretty new and know how frustrating it can be looking for answers. The guy asked a question that has been asked before BUT it was abundantly clear in the title of the thread what he was asking so is it really that big a deal just to ignore it if it doesn't appy to you? I'm still getting used to how this site works, hopefully a bit more used to it and a bit less tiresome now as I'm sure I asked a few questions that were repeats but folk were gracious and still helped me. We aren't all forum experts so don't all know how to search for stuff and even if we do, might not know what to search under. Happy for you that you have got it all sussed, but still sensitive enough to know there are many new droners coming into this fantastic hobby of ours who need help. :)

Awww how sweet.... :)
I'm sorry for my :rolleyes:
It will happen again! :mad:
JJ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20