Mid Air "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS Mode"

Reaction score
I got an error that I've never seen before while flying the Phantom 3 Pro today. I updated the firmware and App a few days ago when it was released and I've flown about 6-7 times prior (after upgrading the firmware and DJI Go App) without any problems.

Today while flying the gimbal got floppy for a second and then I got an error in the DJI Go app saying "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS mode" and had to fly back in Atti mode. I toggled the modes on the controller from P to Atti mode to see if I could get it to reset and it did not reset until it was almost all the way back home.

No crash or damage but it was strange because I have never seen that error before. I had calibrated the compass in the same place just a couple flights prrior and it worked perfectly prior to that flight. I flew again from the same location and had no other issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

My Youtube Channel

I had this problem and was able to bring it in with no issues. I redid my IMU and haven't had the problem since after 10 flights. Make sure you put your P3 on an air vent in your house for 10 minutes prior as my IMU was done at end of day and every successive flight was a painful 2 minute IMU warmup period.

I got an error that I've never seen before while flying the Phantom 3 Pro today. I updated the firmware and App a few days ago when it was released and I've flown about 6-7 times prior (after upgrading the firmware and DJI Go App) without any problems.

Today while flying the gimbal got floppy for a second and then I got an error in the DJI Go app saying "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS mode" and had to fly back in Atti mode. I toggled the modes on the controller from P to Atti mode to see if I could get it to reset and it did not reset until it was almost all the way back home.

No crash or damage but it was strange because I have never seen that error before. I had calibrated the compass in the same place just a couple flights prrior and it worked perfectly prior to that flight. I flew again from the same location and had no other issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

My Youtube Channel
Any power lines or anything close by that might cause magnetic interference?-- also the sun flares can play havoc with the compass and radio on a bad day. Have to check for those thru NOAA

Any power lines or anything close by that might cause magnetic interference?-- also the sun flares can play havoc with the compass and radio on a bad day. Have to check for those thru NOAA
A great website. Gives you all the weather info you need for flying. The KP value is the solar activity. They say anything under a 3 or 4 is safe for flying
http://www.uavforecast.com/

Reactions: romi
Where to start?
  • KP index has nothing to do with compass errors and anything under 8 is not a concern.
  • Power lines will not cause magnetic interference unless you land on them.
  • Calibrating your IMU will not help a compass error.
OP, suggest you find a safe place to do a compass calibration away from any and all metal and magnetic sources. Hopefully that should keep it from reoccurring.

Thanks for the advice all. I checked to sun KP index and it was 2 today. No power lines in the area, however there may be RF interference coming from somewhere - that can always be a problem but I never had a problem flying in that area before.

Tahoe Ed suggested doing a cold IMU re-calibration and then recalibrate the compass. I'll do that tonight.

Thanks again!

Scott

Where to start?
  • KP index has nothing to do with compass errors and anything under 8 is not a concern.
  • Power lines will not cause magnetic interference unless you land on them.
  • Calibrating your IMU will not help a compass error.
+1 to @ianwood, make it +1000.
As to others, let's abstain from voodoo magic: There are real reasons why things don't work.

This incident you reported, is very similar to what I had and described in another thread. One thing that is still not clear to me: why does the phantom switch out of P-GPS mode if it is a compass error?
As per my previous thread, I think that the compass error alert is wrong. There is a bug there somewhere....

On the video (5:17), I have exactly same issue. I have flown int the same location several time. I switch to Atti and bring it down. I get same warning also in the scond fly. It came in same spot, I was turning 360 degrees... I also checked the Compass mod value, it was between 1500-1600.

Same problem I had, fixed it by calibrating in an open area free from anything pretty much. Even took my Watch an bracelet off to be sure. So far 5 flights later an no compass errors mid flight.

Reactions: davidmc0033

On the video (5:17), I have exactly same issue. I have flown int the same location several time. I switch to Atti and bring it down. I get same warning also in the scond fly. It came in same spot, I was turning 360 degrees... I also checked the Compass mod value, it was between 1500-1600.

Hey mate, did you manage to fixed this problem? how? cheers

I have not able to test it again yet (poor weather....) This was the first time, I have any problems with P3A, since I bought it in May...

Is everyone that is having this problem on the new firmware 1.3, really hope this is not a another new problem. Wish they would stop bringing out new aircraft and just get the ones they have made to work properly. I thought we had finally got a good firmware until i read this thread and now i have a bad feeling about this. I have had compass errors at low altitude before near metal but never mid flight up high, now that is a real worry cos i fly faaaar.

Reactions: Bateman233
I had the same issue pop up yesterday while around 400 ft. Never had the compass issues before 1.3 firmware. Switched to atti to get it home. Wish they could figure these bugs out before releasing new bugs.

Yea its annoying. I have never heard of compass error at altitude before now. Thats a serios problem i think cos at height the compass should be getting no errors.

Yea they were all low height compass errors tho, and not as many coming in as now. I can see this thread going a while as more report them. Hope not tho cos i bloody upgraded. Silly me

+1 to @ianwood, make it +1000.
As to others, let's abstain from voodoo magic: There are real reasons why things don't work.

This incident you reported, is very similar to what I had and described in another thread. One thing that is still not clear to me: why does the phantom switch out of P-GPS mode if it is a compass error?
As per my previous thread, I think that the compass error alert is wrong. There is a bug there somewhere....

In a compass error GPS navigation is afected and you could have a flighaway.
To prevent that GPS mode is disabled because GPS mode needs compass to navigate.....

Yea its the same feature the inspire has. Only thing is i dont hear inspire pilots moaning of compass error tho. To sensitive on the p3 i think, all ways has been but certanly hope the new firmware hasnt magnified the problem.

The compass can experience an error at any altitude. It's more likely to occur when near potential sources of interference so higher would usually suggest less less often. However, if the calibration is off, the take off point subject to interference or the compass defective or magnetized, then you can get them anywhere. It then has more to do with when the compass becomes oriented such that the anamoly manifests itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair