MicroSD for 4K videos on P3P?

Reaction score
My P3P came with Lexar 16GB - but... It's a U1 card, at the same time it's marked 633x.. This is U3 speed...

I'm looking for a reliable and not too expensive 64 GB that will record 4K without skips etc. UHS1 or UHS3?

what you use?

Last edited:
Reactions: S5S5G6 and wotblake
There's no point paying big $$ to get the "best" card because the Phantom is what determines the speed of writing - not the card.
Just get any U1/Class 10 card or better and it will be fine.

the Phantom is what determines the speed of writing - not the card
At what speed does the Phantom write RAW files?

DJI lists 60 mbps for 4k... I can't find actual bitate.

4k only writes at 7.5MB/s. Why aren't RAW photos a problem?

There's no point paying big $$ to get the "best" card because the Phantom is what determines the speed of writing - not the card.
Just get any U1/Class 10 card or better and it will be fine.

The P3 camera is locked at the slowest SD bus speed, "Normal_Speed", which is 12.5MB/s. Any class 10 card works fine. This is a huge PITA when shooting AEB or rapid photos in RAW where it takes up to 30 seconds just to write the picture data to the card.

RAW photos aren't a problem.

You have that backwards, 4k/UHD video records at 60mbps (7.5MB/s), which any class 10 card can handle.

RAW photos on the other hand (5AEB or 7 rapid fire) generates 200-300MB of data in less than a second, which is why the camera locks up for 20-30 seconds.

Doesn't matter how fast the card is, the P3 camera is locked at SD bus "Normal_Speed" of 12.5MB/s.

Doesn't matter how fast the card is, the P3 camera is locked at SD bus "Normal_Speed" of 12.5MB/s.
Interesting. Many people have been claiming their photos save faster when using faster memory cards. Also, it's odd that DJI ships a memory card that writes at 40MB/s if that's way overkill. Think of the money they could have saved by shipping the Phantom with a slower memory card.

RAW photos on the other hand (5AEB or 7 rapid fire) generates 200-300MB of data in less than a second, which is why the camera locks up for 20-30 seconds.
If your math is correct, doesn't that mean the camera should lock up for 2-3 seconds when taking one RAW photo? Mine does not lock up.

The Sandisk extreme pro deal above is cheaper than most MicroSD's at this tier of performance.

So in this case the "best" is actually not the most expensive. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Interesting. Many people have been claiming their photos save faster when using faster memory cards. Also, it's odd that DJI ships a memory card that writes at 40MB/s if that's way overkill. Think of the money they could have saved by shipping the Phantom with a slower memory card.

If your math is correct, doesn't that mean the camera should lock up for 2-3 seconds when taking one RAW photo? Mine does not lock up.

Set your camera for 5-AEB or 5 rapid shot and time how long you get the spinning blue circle around the shutter button. Even when I take a single J+R my camera locks up for a few seconds with the blue circle.

I'll go back and test again, my extensive testing of various memory cards was done with 1.19. I did some informal testing with 1.26 an my fastest card (Sandisk Extreme Ultra 80MB/s that benchmarks at 64MB/s write) and saw similar performance. Given that there will probably be a firmware update any day now, I'll test again after that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj