Microraptor Backpack as Carry-on luggage?

Reaction score
I've been using the Microraptor backpack with my P3A for over 9 months, and it has been excellent in every way for my purposes, bu I have a dilemma.

I live in the SF Bay area, and was just invited to shoot some video in Southern California, which would involve airline travel with my P3A, and there is NO WAY I'll thrust it to the 'Samsonite gorilla baggage handlers as checked-luggage.

The likely carrier would be Alaska Airlines or American Airlines, and based on their posted carry-on size limits I'd be ok with Alaska, but slightly too big for American:

Approx. dimensions of the Microraptor: 24" x 15" x 9"
Alaska Airlines limit: 24" x 17" x 10"
American Airlines limit: 22" x 14" x 9" *

Even with Alaska Airlines, my biggest fear during boarding would be dealing with a flight attendant from that Ben Stiller movie, insisting that the bag has to be checked because they over-sold the flight. I'd be stuck and 'SOL (and possibly 'tazed if I'd forgotten to shave for a couple of days).

So tell me all you savvy, seasoned world-travelers: should I:

a) Try and use the Microraptor as carry-on with Alaska, and if the Stiller-stewardess scenario arises, firmly and calmly stand my ground that I cannot and will not check a bag that meets the airline's carry-on requirements... and risk missing the flight and a great video opportunity, being put on a no-fly list, shipped off to Gitmo, etc.

b) Put a DJI harshell case on my credit card (now on-the-shelf at my local Fry's & Best-Buy for $149). There should be less chance of dispute about the smaller size for carry-on with either airline, (18" x 12" x 9"), but if I were forced to check it I think it would probably survive. But it's not in my current budget, and I would seldom, if-ever need to use it again.

In the 'old days when clearly in the 'right, I would not have hesitated to be firmly and calmly insistent to the point of "non-Co-Op!" on something like this. But sadly we now live in different times, I now feel I must choose my battles more carefully.

Whattya think?

P.S. I just thought of a "C" option, but it's kinda' sleezy:

c)
Charge a DJI harshell case at Best Buy and return it after the trip.

* Makes sense that an airline called "American" would need that extra space to squeeze-in all the American-sized passengers. ;o)

Last edited:
Underwhelming response. Guess I should have put "Just crashed my P3..." in the title. ;o<

You have lithium ion batteries in the bag, so it *cannot* go in the hold.

It would violate FAA rules for them to force you to check it.

You have lithium ion batteries in the bag, so it *cannot* go in the hold.

It would violate FAA rules for them to force you to check it.

Brilliant! That is a great answer, thanks Deanster. That info and a ticket on Alaska Airlines will get me there.

Some people hate FAA rules -- in this case, I can say 'FAA RULES!'

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj