Micro SD Card Strangeness

Reaction score
My SD microcard says it is a 32 GB card. (Can't wrap my brain around the fact that such a small card holds 32 gigs, but anyway..) I recorded a bunch of videos over the course of the last few days, which just accumulated on the card -- but nowhere near 32 gigs. Today while filming, the card said it was full. I looked at the card properties and it showed the entire card was full and only 3.68 gigs used. ????? I off-loaded the videos and deleted them from the card. I then looked at the card properties again and the card now reads 32 GB unused. Has anyone experienced premature filling up of the SD microcard? Thanks.

BTW.. Checking my folder of downloaded video on my pc shows my entire library of videos and photos adds up to only about 3.6 gigs. Maybe I need to originally format the card via the DPI app before I ever use it?

Its not happened to me but maybe try formatting the sd card in the app settings?

At least when I use my OSX Apple product to delete the files from the SD card - it (the Mac) never clears the deleted file space. Only way I have been able to reclaim is by formatting the card.

I have heard of (and seen) false content reports, but never to the extent that you are reporting. I agree a format may be necessary. Make sure that you are ending your video sessions before shutting off the Phantom's power.

Yes.. So far I have remembered to turn off the video before shutting down the Phantom. I'll try formatting the card with the app. Thanks.

If you buy cards from unscrupulous people, they can make a 4g card report that it's a 16 or 32 or 64 or even 128g. Scammers abound everywhere.

Suspicious... sounds like a typical rip off that went real big a couple years back when the 32 gig cards got popular... people got ripped off like crazy on those fake cards... it's easy to lay the data on there that reports the fake size and pass it off on unsuspecting buyers.

I bought the special bundle (P2V+, extra battery, micro SD w/adapter, and carrying case) from B&H Photo, a long-time reputable establishment here in the New York Metro area. I doubt it is a fake SD card, but it could be defective. I've now formatted it via the app and will see how it goes over my next few flying sessions.

MapMaker53 said:
I bought the special bundle (P2V+, extra battery, micro SD w/adapter, and carrying case) from B&H Photo, a long-time reputable establishment here in the New York Metro area. I doubt it is a fake SD card, but it could be defective. I've now formatted it via the app and will see how it goes over my next few flying sessions.

Which brand is the card? (I know B&H Photo.)

Don't know how the Phantom handles this, but as a Nikon photographer I can tell you it is best to format the card each time it is inserted into the camera. Just deleting photos does not actually take them off the card, it only deletes the entry in the file allocation table. This may be the source of your issue.

It was the first time I had ever used the card and had never before deleted anything. So there should have been nothing else on the card that would have filled it up at only 3.68 gigs. I'll chalk it up to not initially formatting the card in the camera before ever using it and will keep an eye on it now that it is formatted that way.

It was the first time I had ever used the card and had never before deleted anything. So there should have been nothing else on the card that would have filled it up at only 3.68 gigs. I'll chalk it up to not initially formatting the card in the camera before ever using it and will keep an eye on it now that it is formatted that way. Thanks for the info regarding the bad batch of ScanDisk microcards, Mako79. I'll contact the company if it happens again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic