Micro sd card recording time

Reaction score
Looking for some input on how much space might be used on a micro sd card for the highest quality video shooting and raw stills shooting. Would it be possible to fill or come near the memory limit on a 64 MB card or is 32 adequate? So far all my flights have been hunt and shoot as opposed to long videos or continuous raw stills. Any thoughts?
I guess another way to ask is like this...if I carry 3 or 4 batteries and fly for 15-18 minutes per flight and so the highest quality video or raws on each flight how may cards would I need and what size. My only limitation would be that each flight must have its own card. Don't want to split cards like 32 MB on one flight and 32 on the next using a 64 MB card.

Andrew

Reactions: Amergin
I assume you mean 32GB (not MB). For reference, I just shot some footage today at 2.7K (P3A)

12:45 = 3.82GB

YMMV. I have a 64GB (on Amazon they are less than $30). I take two cards on vacation because the chances of something going wrong are probably directly proportional to how important the video is. Cheap insurance. (And I've had to loan my second card out to somebody who'd neglected to download their drone after a weekend of flying)

Hi Andrew. I normally fly with 16 gig and film all 4k and have never
had any space issues.

When I went to the Bahamas, I wanted to make sure I had enough
space so I got a 64 gig. I'll tell you that I flew for a week over the islands etc. till my heart was content. I think when I got back I had roughly 80 minutes of 4k with about 30% left on the card so there's
a ton of space on there.

Definitely get the fastest write speed you can find so you're able to get the best quality.

Normally I download and erase after each flight anyways just in case
I ever lost the Phantom so space never really becomes an issue.

I fly with 3 batteries and never come close to filling a 16 gig

After formatting your memory card, fire up the DJI GO app while connected to your Phantom and you'll be able to see the remaining minutes (if recording video) or the number of photos remaining (if taking photos) at the top, right of the DJI GO app. The amount remaining of either will depend on your video/photo settings and the size of your memory card.

Hi Andrew. I normally fly with 16 gig and film all 4k and have never
had any space issues.

When I went to the Bahamas, I wanted to make sure I had enough
space so I got a 64 gig. I'll tell you that I flew for a week over the islands etc. till my heart was content. I think when I got back I had roughly 80 minutes of 4k with about 30% left on the card so there's
a ton of space on there.

Definitely get the fastest write speed you can find so you're able to get the best quality.

Normally I download and erase after each flight anyways just in case
I ever lost the Phantom so space never really becomes an issue.

I fly with 3 batteries and never come close to filling a 16 gig

That's very helpful, thanks

I use 64GIG simply because it is cheap and I know I will never run out of space and can fill-fill-fill and copy it off and delete the data from the card anytime I feel like it. It is convenient to not ever have to worry about it.

how may cards would I need and what size. My only limitation would be that each flight must have its own card.
4K video on the Phantom takes about 0.5 Gig per minute, so a 20 minute video = approx 10 GB

If you are flying in risky locations that's a good idea to use separate cards so you don't risk precious footage each flight.
Getting several 16 GB cards would be ideal and cheaper than getting bigger cards.
No need to get faster/more expensive cards either as the write speed is set by the Phantom and not the card.
Just make sure they meet spec, Class 10 or UHS-1 rating.

Reactions: pchin2
Also, a great way to know how much space you have is to look at the middle of your GO screen after you turn on the phantom and application. It will show you exactly how much space you have given a certain recording type (i.e. 4k) down to the very second and the number of images you can take. This removes all guess work on how much space you have. You can also look at this after each flight if you want to know your latest update of how much space you have left. A 64 gig card at 4k gives you approximately 35 minutes or roughly 2 long flights.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl