Memory cards.

Reaction score
Today I was to go fly, however I was grounded due to rain. So, I decided to play with memory cards. I happen to have lots of high speed memory cards laying around, I use them as disk drives for Rasbperry Pi computers, I use them to drive home automation as well as xmass light show.

What I specifically was trying to find out is if I could use higher storage cards in the P4.

The Pi computer claims the max storage it can handle is a 32 gig card, this is because the Pi expects a fat32 format. Memory card higher then 32 gig need to be formatted with ext32 to be visible and used in most computers.

However, in the Pi world we have ways of using higher capacity drives, as such most of my Pi machines run with 128 gig cards. I know I know what does this have to do with the P4.

Well, I figured I might be able to use the same trick with the P4. So As a control test I formatted a 128 gig card, did nothing special except format it on widows.

I actually expected this to work, because the format for a 64 gig card is no different then the format for a 128 gig card.

I spent a few moments terrorizing the wife with the camera. Checked the memory card and just as I expected it worked fine.

Not sure why the say largest memory card size is 64 gigs when clearly it can accept a much larger card.

Last edited:
Today I was to go fly, however I was grounded due to rain. So, I decided to play with memory cards. I happen to have lots of high speed memory cards laying around, I use them as disk drives for Rasbperry Pi computers, I use them to drive home automation as well as xmass light show.

What I specifically was trying to find out is if I could use higher storage cards in the P4.

The Pi computer claims the max storage it can handle is a 32 gig card, this is because the Pi expects a fat32 format. Memory card higher then 32 gig need to be formatted with ext32 to be visible and used in most computers.

However, in the Pi world we have ways of using higher capacity drives, as such most of my Pi machines run with 128 gig cards. I know I know what does this have to do with the P4.

Well, I figured I might be able to use the same trick with the P4. So As a control test I formatted a 128 gig card, did nothing special except format it on widows.

I actually expected this to work, because the format for a 64 gig card is no different then the format for a 128 gig card.

I spent a few moments terrorizing the wife with the camera. Checked the memory card and just as I expected it worked fine.

Not sure why the say largest memory card size is 32 gigs when clearly it can accept a much larger card.
The max dji says it supports in the manual is 64gb.

I have heard that people have got highers working but have had issue writing more than 64gb to the card

But fingers crossed not sure if I would bother risking though 64gh is plenty.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Romonaga
I currently having the bird recording me sitting in my office. I just changed the battery and I should know soon if it will record past 64.

I did get a 256 gig card to work as well, however I had to use a special formatting program to get the bird to see it. It's no different then what I do with the Pi.

I will report back later.

I currently having the bird recording me sitting in my office. I just changed the battery and I should know soon if it will record past 64.
I did get a 256 gig card to work as well, however I had to use a special formatting program to get the bird to see it. It's no different then what I do with the Pi.
I will report back later.
There's not much point using jumbo cards on the Phantom.
It takes about 0.5 GB to store one minute of 4K video and you can store thousands of still images on even a 16 GB card.
Do you want to store the work of a week of flying on one card and keep sending it out and risk losing it all?
My preference is a number of 16 GB cards in different colours so I don't get them mixed up.
Bigger is more expensive ... but it's not necessarily better.
i-GdPnCkp-M.jpg

There's not much point using jumbo cards on the Phantom.
It takes about 0.5 GB to store one minute of 4K video and you can store thousands of still images on even a 16 GB card.
Do you want to store the work of a week of flying on one card and keep sending it out and risk losing it all?
My preference is a number of 16 GB cards in different colours so I don't get them mixed up.
Bigger is more expensive ... but it's not necessarily better.
i-GdPnCkp-M.jpg

It was more a want to see if can be done. It can, I was able to write well past the 64 gig boundary.

Just because it can be done don't mean it should. However, for some people like me that manage to loose them things I like the option of having my full days flying on one card.

I like the idea of many cards, I just know from the 30 I have laying around, for various projects, that I tend to loose them. They are tiny and I am not getting younger.

The point of the exercise was can it be done. Yes, I also was able to write to a 256 gig card. Now, that is over kill.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
Reactions: Phantom-Four
With all those cards you may like a few of these below. I never use larger than 32GB specifically to lower my risk.

DiMeCard micro8 microSD Memory Card Holder - COLOR WAVE EDITION (Ultra thin credit card size holder, writable label) Amazon.com: DiMeCard micro8 microSD Memory Card Holder - COLOR WAVE EDITION (Ultra thin credit card size holder, writable label): Computers & Accessories

Thank you and ordered! This might be jut what I need to keep track of them pesky cards.

That's a lot of 4G files to patch together when you're done

So the Phantom has a limit of 4 gb per file? I was wondering why when recording for longer periods it would always split my recording into 2 or more videos of the same recording.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik