Media Storage?

Reaction score
I currently use Google drive for all my photo storage. I mostly use my phone for those photos. It works fine but now that I'm using my P3P and have 4K video, I'm guessing I'll use up the 100GB of storage I currently have with Google, in a hurry.
I've got a couple old PC's lying around, thought about converting one of them to a NAS. But they are old and noisy.
I could buy 1TB of storage with google for $9.99 a month.
Buy a stand alone NAS?

What do you all do for all your storage needs?

Thanks!

BTW, I'm sure this has been brought up before on the forum, but I couldn't find any threads with my searches. My apologies if It's been brought up a million times.

It's a tough choice. Gotta find a solution that fits your needs/wants.

Me personally I'm about to buy a windows PC and have it disconnected from the internet to start. Maybe VPN connection later on once I figure out the details. Local usage only (because you know.. windows.....)

I'll be getting the cheapest PC I can find and upgrading the hard drives to levels of awesome. This way I have a workable interface for my storage device. Compared to the $200ish external hard drive hooked up to my wireless router, it should only be a couple hundred dollars more and FAR more user friendly/faster.

I plan to have it next to my living room tv this way I can with ease display photos/videos straight to my tv via HDMI cable.

That's my route.

If it is an option for you, look into buying a SATA to USB3 converter. One can be had on Amazon for less than $15 and you may even have some hard drives laying around from the old PCs that you could format. Sure it isn't the prettiest approach and can be slowish at times but it works and is cheap.
StarTech SATA to USB3
Amazon.com: StarTech USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP - SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD - Hard Drive Adapter Cable: Computers & Accessories

Or, just buy an external drive. This WD drive holds a ton of video and can be had for only $75.
Amazon.com: WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (WDBU6Y0020BBK-NESN): Computers & Accessories

I have a 2TB USB drive, which these days are around $55, and that is backed up online using Backblaze. At some point I plan on going to a 4TB drive.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

cash70,
That is the way to do it. I have a 500gb SSD in my computer and don't have the room for keeping footage on here after it has been edited. I just move everything over to my drive (the WD I listed above).

Reactions: mr.goodkat
Go pick up a 2TB external. Then store them on the pc and an external and you will never loose it. I have 2 externals, a 1tb that I bought when they came out and then because it's so old, I bought a new 2 tb last year. I keep everything backed up on both and use the new one all the time. I have tons of movies that I've made over the last few years, many are also saved on YouTube.
Here's some choices - Fry's Electronics |

I use 2 1TB external drives for local backup, and iDrive for online backup. If you start with the free iDrive, you'll get offered specials from time to time to upgrade to paid. I got one for 75% off first year, only $15 bucks for 1TB of storage. Unlimited computers and devices.

There is the cheap route (USB), the semi-expensive route (NAS), and the overkill route (RAID NAS).

- You can get a 2tb portable USB drive for well under $100 these days, but only one computer can access it and you have to directly handle the drive.
- You can get a cheap NAS case from dlink or drobo for under $150 and then a 4tb drive for another $100 giving you access anywhere on your network.
- You can go with a Synology diskstation for $200+ (depending on how many drives it holds) plus $150ish for each drive you throw in there; this would give you plenty of storage and backup and the ability to access the footage anywhere in the world plus gigabit speeds when local.

It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

cash70,
That is the way to do it. I have a 500gb SSD in my computer and don't have the room for keeping footage on here after it has been edited. I just move everything over to my drive (the WD I listed above).
thats the way it is!

SSDs are not good for data storage, you should store all the data in satas

one other advise, do not afraid deleting footages. if you think if its not worth it, delete it. some people think that they will watch it again but in actual fact you never do.
what I do is I edit my footages and upload them to my vimeo and google drive for storage purposes. I keep the raw files in external drives

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
thats the way it is!

SSDs are not good for data storage, you should store all the data in satas

one other advise, do not afraid deleting footages. if you think if its not worth it, delete it. some people think that they will watch it again but in actual fact you never do.
what I do is I edit my footages and upload them to my vimeo and google drive for storage purposes. I keep the raw files in external drives
That's a real good point from mr.goodkat. Once I make a movie & load it on YouTube, it's done. I keep the movie itself for back up and all the footage gets deleted. It's good to keep the movie cause in my case YouTube switched formats on wmv movies and threw the aspect ratios of all .wmv movies ever loaded since day one. So I've been having to reload my channel... Sucks, but facts...

Reactions: mr.goodkat

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic