MB/sec for Go Pro Black

Reaction score
Any one know how to tell the MB/sec being recorded by the GoPro

My cards where purchased with theGoPro from best buy and was told they were approved by GoPro but the ScanDisk is not on the approved list.

Thx

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hero3 BE requieres a Class 10 card or better. Check if your has that mark.

Well, I don't see a 10 on it so maybe it's not up to snuff.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 3 black requires a c10 card but it has been found that not all c10 cards actually perform to spec mostly the sandisk ultra cards. These for some people work without issues but also for many they fail in a gopro and this is the main reason for most camera issues with these.

The latest v3.0 firmware has crippled speed of sandisk cards to max 35Mbps instead of the 45Mbps. Mbps is megabits per second and and class rating is in MB/s megabytes per second. 1 megabyte is 8 megabits so class 10 which is 10 MB/s write speed is actually 80 Mbps and so going by spec any c10 card should easily handle the gopro speeds but its been shown this is not always the case.

Sandisk was originally the recommended card as they have always been the most reliable card but the ultras have been very inconsistant. They have now changed the recommended card list to cards that have passed their new testing methods and the sandisk ultras have been found to not meet the spec. The new firmware should helpnany stability issues people had with the sd ultra cards by limiting its max write speed. Other cards will still write at the regular higher bitrate speeds though.

The recent upgrade the the GoPro Firmware has disabled the least compression rate of the GoPro recording on certain cards. Those that don't make the throughput that GoPro wanted.

One of those cards was the Sandisk Extreme cards because Hero was constantly getting complaints about them not performing properly.

At the camera's best, it will record at over 45mbs, but thanks to the new firmware, only on cards that are up to specs. They list 4 cards on their web site that are up to the task, but there are others that are also good enough. On cards where tje performance wasn't up to snuff, they throttle it back to just 35mbs.

Now, I use a cheap ADATA card. I have 2 of them, and they both read and write at the highest rate. I've even recorded as much as 30 minutes at 720p120 in Protune and have been fine.

The difference in price between the card I use - typically $24.95 and the Approved Lexar and Samsung cards - $99.95 is huge, so I would not necessarily buy the recommended card. I just, at this point would not choose Sandisk. There is a war brewing there for sure.

Lastly, you can check the write speed by left mouse clicking on your file and looking under properties. It will say there.

You should also know there may be no perceptible difference between the two different write speeds. I can't test it as my card writes at the max. Perhaps someone else can do it if they have two different cards.

D

To correct you a little there it was regarding the sandisk ultra cards, the sandisk extreme pro card is still the fastest micro sd card and can easily handle all gopro modes writing at 90MB/s which is 720 Mbps. The new firmware has reduced even this card to 35Mbps recording so it seems to only limit Sandisk cards no matter which ones. People with sd extreme pro cards arent very happy with the fastest performing micro sd card being crippled with the latest firmware update simply because the ultra cards are a POS at times.

There are also new sandisk extreme cards just released with capacity of up to 64GB and spec wise up to 80MB/s not sure of the exact write speed and I have just got one of these but haven't had a chance to test it out. The problem cards from sandisk are the Ultra's and not the extreme cards. Gopro just isn't willing to accept the new extreme card specs without thorough testing as taking specs literally caused most of their issues with the ultra cards.

On the goprouser forum there has been lots of testing regarding this issue for quite a while. Using cheaper cards that arent on the recommended list may still cause issues as many of the cheaper cards do tend to degrade quickly but this has also been true with the sd micro ultras.

Atm I wouldn't recommend a sandisk card amd neither would gopro as they reduce the write speed even in the premium cards, this will likely be addressed in future firmwares but atm its best to get cards on the supported list. Anyone with a sd uktra card should however get stable performance in all modes but at some loss of quality in protune and the high res modes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4