Maytech Carbon Props

Reaction score
Just purchased a 4 probs from my Local hobby store (same size as the stock phantom 2 blades), made by Maytech. First off, 3 of the blades installed flawlessly, but the 4th one was to tight to fit over the motor shaft. (high quality products). The blade was packed like crap, out of the bag they had chips, and air-bubbles.

Anyways all that aside, once i was able to grind away some of the carbon so i could fit the prop on to the motor blade successfully. (super tight fit) i headed out side to give the blades a test flight….Long story short, i have put the Phantom 2 blades back on after 2 flights, with the carbons. phantom flys great again. Carbon blades were causing so much vibration that filming anything would be a joke. the gyro seemed like it was struggling to keep the phantom in the air.

Either there is some calibration that needs to take place before flight? or these props are complete garbage. they come with no instruction, and cost me 90 dollars.

Can anyone give me some advice on making these things function properly?

part number MTCP9443D

drinkwater08 said:
Just purchased a 4 probs from my Local hobby store (same size as the stock phantom 2 blades), made by Maytech. First off, 3 of the blades installed flawlessly, but the 4th one was to tight to fit over the motor shaft. (high quality products). The blade was packed like crap, out of the bag they had chips, and air-bubbles.

Anyways all that aside, once i was able to grind away some of the carbon so i could fit the prop on to the motor blade successfully. (super tight fit) i headed out side to give the blades a test flight….Long story short, i have put the Phantom 2 blades back on after 2 flights, with the carbons. phantom flys great again. Carbon blades were causing so much vibration that filming anything would be a joke. the gyro seemed like it was struggling to keep the phantom in the air.

Either there is some calibration that needs to take place before flight? or these props are complete garbage. they come with no instruction, and cost me 90 dollars.

Can anyone give me some advice on making these things function properly?

part number MTCP9443D

$90?!?! :shock:

I have read nothing but junk about any of the non-DJI props for the Phantoms.

Just out of curiosity, is there an issue you are trying to remedy or a performance gain you're looking for?

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

This forum is littered with experiences similar to this. CF props on the P2 are crap! I know nothing of Maytech but they sound even worse than what you get on eBay. If you can't return them, consider it a $90 lesson and be happy it wasn't a $1,200 lesson.

Maytech makes copies of T-motor CF props, so I'm guessing drinkwater got a set like the T-motor black/white set for the Phantom, especially due to that price.

Yea i was thinking, the flimsyness of the Phantom 2 props killed performance. Thinking that a stiffer blade might result in stabel flight, longer batterie life….. Dont care anymore, hopefully the hobby store will take them back. They do look awesome on the phantom, but that seems to be it haha.

conclusion Maytech props for the phantom 2- downgrade

drinkwater08 said:
Yea i was thinking, the flimsyness of the Phantom 2 props killed performance. Thinking that a stiffer blade might result in stabel flight, longer batterie life….. Dont care anymore, hopefully the hobby store will take them back. They do look awesome on the phantom, but that seems to be it haha.

conclusion Maytech props for the phantom 2- downgrade

That "flimsiness" is by design. Flex may reduce lifting efficiency but it's also compensating for the larger blade size and deeper pitch by reducing the likelihood of stalling the blade. That larger size and pitch are giving you a lot of benefit. A rigid prop would need to be less aggressively designed i.e. smaller and/or have less pitch/chord to not increase instability. Gross oversimplification but I'm pretty sure that's the idea.

BTW, check this out:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug6W7_tafnc[/youtube]

Looks like a bird's wing, doesn't it?

I try to never get involved in prop threads or discussions because I know so little about it- I read, make mental notes, and do very little experimentation.

I will be the fly in the ointment here; my best performance to date has been with a set of 9in (9443?) carbon fiber aftermarket props off of ebay- I am going to go back through my account and find the specific vendor and link... because they were cheap.

The after market vison props sucked wet dog fur- the stock P1 props are too small- the P2 and P2V DJI props I just got a week ago are not balanced as tight as advertised (2 were slightly off) and they flew good, with nice lift- but the video was superior with the CF rotors. The balanced aftermarket P2/P2V props were horrible- they had far too much flex compared to the DJI OEM version.

This makes me very curious about CF P2 props though... if I could confirm a decent maker and I could find a set with less angle- that was what I think made the difference in the value CF props I have- they are the same size as stock 9443's but the pitch is slightly less.

My Phantom could set on a glass table, with stock motors and those CF props, and not move when idling... all other props and the Phantom would do anything from slowly move in place like on bearings... turning slightly, to doing a jitterbug from hell across the table. Those CF deals it just sat there and barley made any noise except for the whine of the motors. I know it is an unconventional testing method... but I am an amateur- wtf do I know abut aerodynamics?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj