Maxx UAV range problem

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've finally decided to install MaxxUAV on my P3 Pro after reading so many positive posts about it. I made 3 test flights last night; unfortunately, I could not go further than 3 km which I could already make with my windsurfer at the same location.

During my entire flight, the video link stayed full (auto channel), but after 2 -2.5 km. the remote link suddenly gets 1-2 bars and I lose control. I make small aim adjustments and I get the connection back, but it won't stay long. Same thing happens over and over until I fly back to 2 km distance.

I know that interference has big effect on range; but wasn't I supposed to fly much further at the same spot I used to fly with my windsurfer?

Do you have any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? Can we rule out faulty installation since I could fly 3 km away?

Thanks

Try flying with a tripod or setting your RC on a table next time, aimed like a sniper rifle, and fly straight out on a line. See if that helps.

Reactions: Digdat0
What's your altitude at 3km out? We're there houses or neighborhoods below you? It kinda sounds like you are moving out of the antenna beam, are you moving it around a lot or is it stationary and pointed?

Sounds to me like he's doing the same parameters as with the windsurfers and for some reason the Maxx is not doing as well.

Hi everyone,

I've finally decided to install MaxxUAV on my P3 Pro after reading so many positive posts about it. I made 3 test flights last night; unfortunately, I could not go further than 3 km which I could already make with my windsurfer at the same location.

During my entire flight, the video link stayed full (auto channel), but after 2 -2.5 km. the remote link suddenly gets 1-2 bars and I lose control. I make small aim adjustments and I get the connection back, but it won't stay long. Same thing happens over and over until I fly back to 2 km distance.

I know that interference has big effect on range; but wasn't I supposed to fly much further at the same spot I used to fly with my windsurfer?

Do you have any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? Can we rule out faulty installation since I could fly 3 km away?

Thanks
Can you also post the healthy drones logs for maxx uav antenna vs the windsurfer? Curious how the signal strength rating compares, and if it breaks up in same spots.

MaxxUAV antennas aren't magic. Nor are boosters or anything else. You won't always get more range from them, even compared to stock.

First off, check your connections and cables. It sounds like the antennas do something so you probably didn't mess up the installation. Then, as has been mentioned, be more careful with aiming. The way antennas get more gain is that the focus the beam, so you have to point the antenna to the bird. 15 degrees off with a flat panel like the MaxxUAV gives you considerable loss. A lot of times it's not worth it to go with a more powerful and tighter beam as it can be a giant PITA to constantly keep turning.

If you really want to make a comparison, you need to remove the other variables like buildings, trees, other EMR radiatiors. Which means you have to pick your test site carefully. This is why the folks that live to get another 100 feet of range try to run over a beach or similarly situated land (or just water). Everything else gets confusion going.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Update:

I tried at another site; which had better sight. This time I had much better signal; reached 5 km (still needed to aim right). BUT I could not fly back !!! I was over sea; the wind was strong. I was coming back at 4 m/s and lost my P3. I cannot believe this happened to me... I forgot everything I knew for the sake of max distance. I did not check the wind; did not pay attention to the battery and got the expected outcome...

Final thoughts: Maxx UAV antenna is good; but I don't feel comfortable when using it. It needs to be aimed right. Even with the slightest mistake, I lose the signal. It does not tolerate well; I don't know if amps make it easier. I guess one needs to get used it.

NOW... What do you guys recommend me to do? I have a fully functional P3 remote with Maxx UAV installed. Does DJI sell P3 Pro bird only (without controller)? I have 2 batteries, lots of new propellers and a hardshell backpack... I read somewhere here that P3 controller is stronger than P4 controller and some people keep using their P3 controllers with P4s. So, should I buy a new P4? I really would like to buy a new Phantom; but cannot decide if P4 is worth it...

Update:

I tried at another site; which had better sight. This time I had much better signal; reached 5 km (still needed to aim right). BUT I could not fly back !!! I was over sea; the wind was strong. I was coming back at 4 m/s and lost my P3. I cannot believe this happened to me... I forgot everything I knew for the sake of max distance. I did not check the wind; did not pay attention to the battery and got the expected outcome...

Final thoughts: Maxx UAV antenna is good; but I don't feel comfortable when using it. It needs to be aimed right. Even with the slightest mistake, I lose the signal. It does not tolerate well; I don't know if amps make it easier. I guess one needs to get used it.

NOW... What do you guys recommend me to do? I have a fully functional P3 remote with Maxx UAV installed. Does DJI sell P3 Pro bird only (without controller)? I have 2 batteries, lots of new propellers and a hardshell backpack... I read somewhere here that P3 controller is stronger than P4 controller and some people keep using their P3 controllers with P4s. So, should I buy a new P4? I really would like to buy a new Phantom; but cannot decide if P4 is worth it...

Buy Phantom 3 Professional - Aircraft (Excludes Remote Controller and Battery Charger) | DJI Store

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Update:

My condolences on your loss. I just lost mine 10 days ago, not a club I like to be a part of. I got a low battery warning recently while going for distance and it scared the heck out of me. Even though I didn't lose my bird while going for distance, I am giving up worrying about going further and further. It's time to explore the many other ways to have fun with these things. Get yourself a P3P craft only and continue to enjoy this hobby. Good luck.

same issue here, installed the Maxxrange antenna after only being able to get 2500' distance and am still getting the same range.

Update:

well crap, sorry to hear it man. but good range ;) I was in a position where i needed another phantom, but had RC, etc. I found a used one for $275 shipped and a 2.7k camera for $140 shipped. i couldn't find anything cheaper. i recommend buying gently used and piece it back together.

seems strange I have that antenna and boosters mounted on my p3 pro. I have gone 3 miles out line of sight and didnt need to aim the antenna so direct. If fact mine worked better when not pointed dead on but rather a bit under the drone. Strong signals and lots of gain make is comforting to know I can push it as long as the batters hold out.

seems strange I have that antenna and boosters mounted on my p3 pro. I have gone 3 miles out line of sight and didnt need to aim the antenna so direct. If fact mine worked better when not pointed dead on but rather a bit under the drone. Strong signals and lots of gain make is comforting to know I can push it as long as the batters hold out.

According to Jake, the boosters make some difference; make easier to aim.

I would check the inside of the controller specifically where the antenna goes out of the controller and make sure the wire isn't broken. This is a common reason for the signal loss. Next, make sure you are using auto in the frequency settings.

I thought with those antennas u had to set the channel on auto and it had to be on a certain channel. Atleast that is what I'm getting out of my research trying to find the best one. And boosters are a definite for extra range with these antennas. But these are just my thoughts

Sent from my SM-T810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the tag RocketBrew! Yes, auto is recommended with the MaxxRange for sure. I always leave my on Auto, even when using the smaller antenna.

@Werewolf can you upload your flight to Healthy Drones and post the link? I will tell you, trees are your absolute worst enemy. It doesn't matter what kind of setup you have, it will limit your range extensively.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
+1 for Healthy Drones flight link please.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl