Maximum time to store battery at full charge?

Reaction score
What's the consensus on how long is the maximum safe time to keep flight batteries at full charge?

IOW, If I plan an early morning flight, I'd like to charge the flight batts the night before. Will this harm the batteries in the long run?

..thanks!

skeeter said:
If I plan an early morning flight, I'd like to charge the flight batts the night before. Will this harm the batteries in the long run?

No. That's a pretty good approach. My challenge is having charged up three batteries in anticipation of flying the next day and then the plan changes and I don't use the for 3 days. While not ideal, I think even that isn't too bad but I am not sure. I think it's if you leave them for several days to a week or more that they will start to show less capability over time.

No. That's a pretty good approach. My challenge is having charged up three batteries in anticipation of flying the next day and then the plan changes and I don't use the for 3 days. While not ideal, I think even that isn't too bad but I am not sure. I think it's if you leave them for several days to a week or more that they will start to show less capability over time.

Ianwood:

I know that feeling as well.. I usually end up with the bird strapped down and "idling down the battery" to something like 70% if it looks like I won't fly for a few days....grrr....March winds....

ianwood said:
My challenge is having charged up three batteries in anticipation of flying the next day and then the plan changes and I don't use the for 3 days. While not ideal, I think even that isn't too bad but I am not sure. I think it's if you leave them for several days to a week or more that they will start to show less capability over time.

this is me.
I'll charge the night before and something messes up the plans. In this recent case, 2 days straight of heavy rain. So now the workweek starts tomorrow and I've got to figure out when to drain these things. Gonna find a park during lunch at work or something.

There isn't a "threshold" of time at full charge that will start to harm a battery. Keeping a LiPo battery at high voltage, such as in fully charged condition, will degrade it gradually. The longer it stays at full charge and the warmed it is, the more it will degrade. Therefore, it is best to limit the time the battery spends at full charge, and especially take care to prevent it from being fully charged in a hot environment.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries

I tend to charge the night before a planned flight and drain it to 50% or so if I can't fly within 48 hours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues