Maximum distance set - Flyaway

Reaction score
If i set maximum distance in the Pilot app and the drone would suddenly flyaway for whatever reason will it overrun the preset maximum flight distance?
I guess it doesn't care about the maximum set flight difference if the compass and gyro etc. goes crazy?
Just wanted to make sure. I guess there is no way then to prevent these flyways?

By the way, what are those black stripes i see pretty often in the Pilot app when using the FPV function?

If i set maximum distance in the Pilot app and the drone would suddenly flyaway for whatever reason will it overrun the preset maximum flight distance?
I guess it doesn't care about the maximum set flight difference if the compass and gyro etc. goes crazy?
Just wanted to make sure. I guess there is no way then to prevent these flyways?

By the way, what are those black stripes i see pretty often in the Pilot app when using the FPV function?
If it's a flyaway due to a GPS error, then it won't matter because the bird won't know where it is anyway. Presumably if GPS is still functioning, then max distance should still apply, though it'd be pretty difficult to test the theory :)
Black stripes are over exposed areas, you can turn it off in the app (not sure where since I'm Android).

If you are flying and you suddenly think your Phantom is flying away, switching to ATTI mode and taking the GPS out of the equation might restore control unless it's the compass.

Older Phantoms had full Manual mode which took the GPS and compass out of the flight equation.
(If wrong, by all means correct me :)
I'm not sure why DJI eliminated full manual mode on the P3P?

Fly a ways can't be prevented but they can be minimized. If your Phantom is up to date with software and all calibrations good and you verify satellite lock and home lock each time and you have a good preflight check list you minimize the flay ways. Can't do anything about hardware failures but for any functions we do we can minimize it. Just enjoy flying. Some pilots have been flying for years and no issues. Other not so lucky. Electronics are unpredictable so I just fly and have fun.

Reactions: tech_fan
Fly a ways can't be prevented but they can be minimized.

Why SURE flyaways can be prevented. What gave you that notion?
phantomphoto.jpg

I'm old and grey but I don't understand but I can be educated. So tell me how fly a ways can be prevented. I said they can't but they can be minimized. Some fly a ways are due to hardware failure and I certainly don't know how to prevent that. So if you can help me out here I would appreciate it Mr. JKDSensl.
Nice photo by the way.

I see a drag line hanging below the Phantom in the picture.
Is it connected to a reel, like for large kites?

RedHotPoker

If it's a flyaway due to a GPS error, then it won't matter because the bird won't know where it is anyway. Presumably if GPS is still functioning, then max distance should still apply, though it'd be pretty difficult to test the theory :)
Black stripes are over exposed areas, you can turn it off in the app (not sure where since I'm Android).
Thank you for that. I was going crazy this morning thinking zebras were running past all my windows.

I'm old and grey but I don't understand but I can be educated. So tell me how fly a ways can be prevented. I said they can't but they can be minimized. Some fly a ways are due to hardware failure and I certainly don't know how to prevent that. So if you can help me out here I would appreciate it Mr. JKDSensl.
Nice photo by the way.

Rofl. Look closer at the photo you refer to :) Your answer lies within. It is a bit tongue in cheek though.

Thank you for that. I was going crazy this morning thinking zebras were running past all my windows.
The right front wheel on the RC can adjust that over exposure for you.
Remember the wheel is clickable so depending where yours is set...
Play around with it some, and see how it affects the big picture. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: sacooke

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl