Maximum descent question

Reaction score
Hey pilots,

I have a question about descending at the maximum rate. I know that after landing, I can pull the throttle back and hold it all the way back for 3 seconds and the engines will turn off. However if I am descending from altitude, I have been cautious to not hold the throttle all the way back for fear of turning off the engines while it is still hundreds of feet in altitude. Does anyone know if this is a legitimate concern? Can the engines actually turn off by descending at maximum rate (throttle all the way back) for 3 seconds or more?

-Tim :cool:

Nope - no worries, won't turn off in mid air if left stick is used in down position. Gotta be landed.

I keep the left stick all the way down when descending and have no issues. I guess the sensors know when it's not descending anymore before turning the rotors off.

The quad can sense when it cannot descend any further and shuts off the engines just as it does with RTH. So there is no problem with left stick full back during descent.

I had experienced this exact behaviour at least once. Left stick down for more than 3 seconds while the bird is still at least 10 meters above the ground - wobble and crash land. Luckily on its back - no damage.

EyesofCanadaGoose said:
I had experienced this exact behaviour at least once. Left stick down for more than 3 seconds while the bird is still at least 10 meters above the ground - wobble and crash land. Luckily on its back - no damage.
Are you certain the motors shut off?
Based on your "Wobble" description, I suspect you hit a VRS (Vortex Ring State) which caused you to drop like a rock. That can happen when you descend too fast.
You'll lose all lift and drop pretty fast after a tell-tale wobble, but the motors will still be spinning madly trying futilely to maintain altitude.

All the more reason to not descend at max rate.

cahutch said:
EyesofCanadaGoose said:
Are you certain the motors shut off?
Based on your "Wobble" description, I suspect you hit a VRS (Vortex Ring State) which caused you to drop like a rock. That can happen when you descend too fast.
You'll lose all lift and drop pretty fast after a tell-tale wobble, but the motors will still be spinning madly trying futilely to maintain altitude.

All the more reason to not descend at max rate.

You can easily avoid a VRS by let it glide in more horisontally, then you will always have "clean" air below your props

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers