Max writing speed?

Reaction score
I see DNG shots take a while to write to the card supplied by DJI, Panasonic 16Gb class 10.
I am planning to purchase a new 64Gb. There are a variety of read/write speed in the market
I want to know which is the maximum speed the camera can write to the card to not waste money in an unnecessary priced super speed card.

If shooting 4K video, the max write speed is 7.5MB/s. Any of the memory cards here will work:
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Faster memory cards do have some benefit. You'll be able to copy files to/from the memory card faster. And, the delay between taking multiple photos in a row will be slightly less. If neither of those are important though, then just get the card that is the least expensive.

The SanDisk Extreme memory card has been working well with my P3P.

Last edited:
What everyone has missed is the actual question. And I dont have the data to answer it either. But to somewhat address it... A more expensive card ISNT necessarily faster WRITING data! Almost none of the companies out there openly tell you their write speed, and always advertise their READ speed. Two things that have no connection to each other! Dont be taken by what is openly stated, look and compare WRITE specs! If they dont tell you a write speed its because they dont want you to see how crappy it is!

I personally use Sandisk Extreme Plus cards all because of its write speed.

This site did some comparisons... And they actually leaned more toward the READ speed being important.. But take a look anyway.

http://highonandroid.com/android-ac...-sd-card-shootout-samsung-vs-sony-vs-sandisk/

"I was able to write 2GB file to a Sandisk Extreme PRO card in just 27.76 seconds, to Samsung PRO in 28.13 seconds, and Sony card in 38.61 seconds.

For reading, I copied a 2GB file from the microSD cards to my computer, Sony actually came up first at 20.86 seconds, SanDisk next at 22.80 seconds, followed by Samsung at 23.88 seconds."

He states Sandisk is overpriced.. could be! Because its the fastest writing card on the planet!

I just picked up a pny 32gb for 17.99 and it seems to be just as good as the sandisk card I have.

Reactions: III% Streve
I just picked up a pny 32gb for 17.99 and it seems to be just as good as the sandisk card I have.
It has HALF the write speed. It may very well do OK in a phantom. Video is not a big deal to write. Its consecutive photos in raw and jpg at the same time that caucuses a real strain. I also shoot with a Nikon D810.... Poor write speed WILL kill a shoot!

I answered the actual question :)

This is an important point. And, it's why I only list the write speeds here:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/#MemoryCardsP3
I wasn't trying to be an ***... Your resources are GREAT and I really think what you do for this community is far more beneficial that the self proclaimed DJI support boys. He was asking about photos, and you addressed video. Thats all I was getting at.

It has HALF the write speed. It may very well do OK in a phantom. Video is not a big deal to write. Its consecutive photos in raw and jpg at the same time that caucuses a real strain. I also shoot with a Nikon D810.... Poor write speed WILL kill a shoot!
The one I got is the ultra hd. I know the read speed is 90m/s I'm not sure what the write speed is.

He was asking about photos, and you addressed video.
Ah -- good call.

Many people will say any old card will write photos just as fast as the best memory card available. I'm not buying that logic though. A memory card with a faster write speed will write faster. Again though, it's really only worth it if you must shoot many photos back-to-back as quickly as possible. Most people are not doing that.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik