Max wind speed

Reaction score
What should be the max wind speed I should fly my p3a in? The highest I've flown in was about 22mph in the area and it flew stably in air but a little rough on the takeoff...

The Phantom manual recommends not flying in wind speeds exceeding 10 m/s (~22 mph).

Last edited:
wow, i didn't realize you could fly safely and stably in 22 mph winds.

i might have been flying when a 20 mph gust came through, but i am not sure i would try to fly with constant 22 mph winds !!!

Well, just because you can doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to do it ;)

My FC40 and P1 can fly in 20 MPH sustained winds with no problem. Your P3 should handle much more than that. In fact, I've seen video of flights in Hawaii where the P3 did just fine in 20+ winds.

Reactions: dirkclod
It's all relative. If it can go 30 mph in no wind, then it can go 1 mile an hour into 29 mph wind.... well, not THAT extreme cause you need to subtract maneuver and leveling losses.

What should be the max wind speed I should fly my p3a in? The highest I've flown in was about 22mph in the area and it flew stably in air but a little rough on the takeoff...
Follow the manual's restrictions, why chance it?

Today I tried to fly at the North-Sea shore. The forecast was 5 Bft, ~max 10 m/s or ~22 mph. The wind seemed stronger, but I gave it a try.
The P3A could stay at the same spot facing the wind, but when I turned it 180 degrees, it drifted quite fast. I needed full thrust forward to bring it back.:eek:
I flew beyond my place a couple of times and saw the same behavior: it was able to stay only at the same spot facing the wind. Also at an angle of 90 degrees it drifted away. I can not explain why the orientation towards the wind is a factor.
After a few minutes I decided to land.
Later it turned out it was 6-7 Bft, max 14-17 m/s, which is close to the max speed (16 m/s) it can fly.
So I agree 10 m/s is a safe value. Next time I will not try to fly with such strong winds. :)

vlcsnap-2016-08-03-20h37m09s661.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik