Max wind recommendations

Reaction score
New to flying drones. Just purchased a Phantom 3 Advanced and wondering what the max speed people are comfortable flying in.

When its 15 or above I tend to fly lower and closer. My P3p has been pretty steady in those conditions but I worry about gusts above that happening.

My number is 15 mph. I don't want to fly if it's more than that.

Also, know that the wind is stronger at higher elevations. You can check here: uavforecast.com

According to Healthy Drones data, I've had flights at 400 ft where the wind gusts up to 35-40 mph. It gets a little sketchy, but it's still fight-able. Not exactly ideal for taking photos/videos though. Always check on uavforcast for winds at the altitude you are flying, not ground level! They are always quite different. For a beginner, definitely don't fly if winds are above 15-20 mph until you get the feel of how it behaves in wind.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I try to not fly in winds over 15 Knots. I have flown in 20 Knots but that's iffy IMHO. Especially for takeoff and landing.

The other thing I look at is the "type of wind." When I say this I refer to where and what is causing the wind. Say a morning Periodic onshore breeze at 20 Knots is often more stable with few chances of a gust versus a inbound front from a low or high pressure system. Thermals off of something like Jockeys Ridge on the outer banks are pretty stable too if you pay attention as another example of what I find stable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj