Max Size of micro SD

Reaction score
Just as an FYI, 128gb micro SD works fine in Phantom 3 Pro; just formatted one and then upgraded firmware with it, shows as correct size in Go app.

Are you sure it can write up to 128GB?

Size of the SD can be read from the meta data, that's not the correct way to judge if 128GB can be used to write in phantom 3.

Plz check DJI's specifications.

You might just find out you can only record up to 64g of files............

Not opening the packaging on my 128gb until I hear back from you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can always remove the props, fire everything up, and just start recording a movie........................

I just bought a 128 also - the price was too good to pass up and I have too many things I can use it on :)

I too will be curious to see if we can max it out. It is not uncommon for specs to to say there is a certain limit on SD cards and find out that it is quite different. Will be interesting to find out.

Strange, I would assume if it can see the card it can write to it. I know in all the other devices I've tried to put a too big a card in, it just wouldn't detect it as a whole. I've never had a device see a card and only write to a portion of it, just because it can handle a certain size. That sounds strange.

Reactions: FotoGeek
Yeah that's my thinking as well, I've had several devices with recommended max size of sd cards that work with considerably larger ones.

Strange, I would assume if it can see the card it can write to it. I know in all the other devices I've tried to put a too big a card in, it just wouldn't detect it as a whole. I've never had a device see a card and only write to a portion of it, just because it can handle a certain size. That sounds strange.

This has been my experience with most devices as well. if it can format the card and 'see' the capacity it's usually fine. The only limitations that may exist is the max length of a single video.

There is a 4GB file limitation in the FAT32 file system & a new recording file is created once a single file reaches that limit. Not sure if the Phantom would be able to read/write an NTFS-formatted card to overcome this limit? You'll only know if a 128GB card works once you begin writing data past the 64 GB stated capacity of the camera. You could test it by transferring >64GB of video to it from your PC & then attempting to play it back from the Go app.

The Vision+ had a 32 GB limit. You could install & format a 64, but anything past 32 GB was irretrievable. It may appear to format a 128GB card because devices like this only do a quick format..zeroing the FAT tables. A full format of a 128GB card would take several hours.

This has been my experience with most devices as well. if it can format the card and 'see' the capacity it's usually fine. The only limitations that may exist is the max length of a single video.

The P3 will format cards larger than 32GB as exFAT, which does not have the 4GB file limitation. That said there is a firmware limitation that splits the files regardless of the file system.

Confirmed working. I left my Phantom 3 Pro on a table and just had it recording video. Had to change the battery a couple times, but let it record 4k footage of nothing for about 4 hours which was a total of just under 100gb. There was a separate file every 9-10 minutes or so, but it didn't have a problem going past 64gb.

Confirmed working. I left my Phantom 3 Pro on a table and just had it recording video. Had to change the battery a couple times, but let it record 4k footage of nothing for about 4 hours which was a total of just under 100gb. There was a separate file every 9-10 minutes or so, but it didn't have a problem going past 64gb.

Awesome. Can you let us know the size of each file? That would confirm the maxim file size (I suspect somewhere around 4.2GB).

Awesome. Can you let us know the size of each file? That would confirm the maxim file size (I suspect somewhere around 4.2GB).
I assume due to the fact it can write to a FAT32 file system, the files are hard coded for a max ~4GB limit. So it can safely write to that file system limitation.

All the files have a slight variance when it gets down to the bytes, but they are all reading as 3.91 GB.
Size: 3.91 GB (4,205,530,989 bytes)
Size on Disk: 3.91 GB (4,205,531,136 bytes)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj