Max Ceiling Question

Reaction score
Please help me understand this. What is the max ceiling of a Phantom 2 Vision? I read about it in the user manual in conjunction with the software for the Phantom. Do I need to set the max ceiling or is there a pre-set max ceiling already programed? What happens if I hit it or exceed it? I'm hesitant to explore how far up I can go because I don't want to loose this thing! Thanks!

I believe the factory default setting is 1000 (meters?), but can be changed via the assist software up to 10,000. Thing is, what's the reliable range of your transmitter...

As far as what happens when you hit that ceiling... it's kind of like an invisible fence. The quad, if still under control of the transmitter will just hang there at that ceiling limit and even if you give it more stick it won't go beyond that setting.

U.M.

So in theory I should be able to send it up as far as I can get it (1000 meters let's say) and it should either stop OR return to "home" (if I've exceed the transmitter range)?

GLOCKer said:
So in theory I should be able to send it up as far as I can get it (1000 meters let's say) and it should either stop OR return to "home" (if I've exceed the transmitter range)?
Yes, that is how I understand it.

I know that when I first tried for a maximum altitude with my Phantom (with default limits set) it seemed as if my quad reached a certain height and just wouldn't go any higher. When I reviewed the GoPro footage it was as if I had hit an invisible wall up there. You could hear the engines throttle up momentarily as if being commanded to climb higher (I was giving it full up stick), but then it would just return to a stable hover.

U.M.

Okay. So I need to not be so much of a wimp and I should probably try the max ceiling.

GLOCKer said:
Okay. So I need to not be so much of a wimp and I should probably try the max ceiling.

Subject to the maximum allowable ceiling for model aircraft being 400ft (122m) above surface.

The reason DJI introduced these geofences in the first place was to comply with local/country/geographic laws and regulations.

Maximum permissible height in the Us or the UK is 400ft. This is due to the fact civilian manned aircraft are restricted to 500ft above surface so that maintains a 100ft 'safety margin'

Yesterday I took mine higher than I ever have. It was a little spec, then I blinked, and couldn't find it obviously until I brought it back down.

Good times!

The Editor said:
Subject to the maximum allowable ceiling for model aircraft being 400ft (122m) above surface.

The reason DJI introduced these geofences in the first place was to comply with local/country/geographic laws and regulations.

Maximum permissible height in the Us or the UK is 400ft. This is due to the fact civilian manned aircraft are restricted to 500ft above surface so that maintains a 100ft 'safety margin'

Strange? When I checked the stock settings on my Phantom in the assist software they were set at 1000 by default, not 400ft? In fact I think the lowest setting allowed was 1000.

U.M.

kydan said:
Yesterday I took mine higher than I ever have. It was a little spec, then I blinked, and couldn't find it obviously until I brought it back down.

Good times!

If you can still see it, you haven't gone high enough. LOL!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Uncle Meat said:
Strange? When I checked the stock settings on my Phantom in the assist software they were set at 1000 by default, not 400ft? In fact I think the lowest setting allowed was 1000.

U.M.

More than likely - since as the products leave the production line DJI have absolutely no idea where in the World a particular item will end up, they have to set the limits at something.

Altitude limits are settable between 10m - 10,000m

kydan said:

Good times!

Any pics or video?

Here's a video of my recent flight in which I went up to 282 meters. I later found out no higher than 400ft....I thought 400m. :eek: :lol: :lol:

For me, without FPV and iOSD, there is no way I would go up that high blindly. Yike!!! LOL!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD_J0QobVVk[/youtube]

The max height I have been is 1362 feet (415m). Don't think I will ever want to go higher lol:-

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5s3EI70WBA[/youtube]

xgeek said:
The max height I have been is 1362 feet (415m). Don't think I will ever want to go higher lol:-

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5s3EI70WBA[/youtube]

WOW!
Was that a Phantom?

FangsCPO said:
Here's a video of my recent flight in which I went up to 282 meters. I later found out no higher than 400ft....I thought 400m. :eek: :lol: :lol:

For me, without FPV and iOSD, there is no way I would go up that high blindly. Yike!!! LOL!!

dude.. that's not a Phantom.. :D

antticato said:
FangsCPO said:

**** sorry about that.....wrong thread.

FangsCPO said:
antticato said:
FangsCPO said:

**** sorry about that.....wrong thread.

No problem, no harm done :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20