Mavic IMU Calibration Error

Reaction score
So I powered up my Mavic to fly today and I got an IMU calibration error. The DJI GO application took me through the IMU Calibration process but never made it through. It gets stuck in segment 2/5 and never will complete. I've tried to reboot everything several times and each time I power back up I continuously get the IMU Calibration error and then get stuck at 2 of 5 which doing the IMU Calibration.....Any advice ?? It will not let me fly without doing this Calibration

are you using android or IOS and which version of GO app are you running. they had been going though a few updates lately.
I wanted to say "and it starts" meaning the problems with the new drone. I hope you get the problems ironed out fast.
Good Luck

Running DJI Go app on iOS. Everything appears to be up to date, I guess I better get on the phone with DJI and see what they can do. Such a pain in the ***.

Spent some time on the phone with DJI technical support trying to update firmware and reinstall apps all to no avail. DJI wants it sent back to replace with a new one. Good customer service and they are covering all the shipping costs but I'm just curious why and how this would happen to a 5 day old drone with 4 flights on it. Oh well, hopefully the replacement lasts longer.

Spent some time on the phone with DJI technical support trying to update firmware and reinstall apps all to no avail. DJI wants it sent back to replace with a new one. Good customer service and they are covering all the shipping costs but I'm just curious why and how this would happen to a 5 day old drone with 4 flights on it. Oh well, hopefully the replacement lasts longer.
Take a picture of the serial number. Funny they said replace with a NEW one. Guess they don't have refurbished yet ;)

Before you send it back, take my advice...

If you haven't dropped or crashed the mavic then keep reading.

keep the mavic off for at least an hour keep it in a cool place. Keeping it cool is critical and the quicker you do the calibration is key.
Now familiarise yourself with GO app menu and make sure you know where the calibration tab screen is. Also familiarise yourself with calibration technique shown below:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Now the trick is to do the calibration right away and don't let the unit warm up too quick. The quicker you get to the menu to start the calibration, the better it is for the IMU.

Cooler the better for the IMU why?

I used to leave phantoms in the fridge pre calibration. I got very fast warm up times as a result. What I didn't enjoy was frequent and significant variations in depicted altitude.

Cooler the better for the IMU why?

I used to leave phantoms in the fridge pre calibration. I got very fast warm up times as a result. What I didn't enjoy was frequent and significant variations in depicted altitude.

A room cooled calibrated IMU is more accurate for barometric/altitude readings. Barometers use pressure to measure to altitude and pressure is heat affected. The problem with this is, when the phantom is left idling without the props spinning, the internals get warm real quick. Just place your hand on top of the Phantom and you will see. The P2 Vision plus was much hotter with a wifi module next to the NAZA/IMU.

If you leave it in the fridge, it will definitely throw off the altitude readings. But at least your IMU warm up times are much quicker. And watch out for condensation.

A room cooled calibrated IMU is more accurate for barometric/altitude readings. Barometers use pressure to measure to altitude and pressure is heat affected. The problem with this is, when the phantom is left idling without the props spinning, the internals get warm real quick. Just place your hand on top of the Phantom and you will see. The P2 Vision plus was much hotter with a wifi module next to the NAZA/IMU.

If you leave it in the fridge, it will definitely throw off the altitude readings. But at least your IMU warm up times are much quicker. And watch out for condensation.
In the absence of an explanation to the contrary it would seem any improved calibration accuracy, to the extent it might be demonstrated from cold calibration, would only be demonstrated when flying in conditions with a similar ambient temperature. It would seem the absence of temperature compensation of the barometer would be a required element for this to prove true.

All I can say, as I mentioned earlier, is that when I performed cold IMU calibrations I found that I experienced significant altitude reading error on my first flight of the outing. One explanation might be that the AC warming during flight presented a lower air density to the barometer than it was expecting having regard to some refererence value that was recorded during the cold calibration.

Hi
I am having the same trouble having just unboxed my Mavic! did you get it resolved?

Hi.

When it gets stuck at ~90% completion of 2/5, did you notice that the Mavic shown on the left side in the app has changed its position? It is now laying on the side.
As the app asks to place the Mavic as indicated.... you have to move it.

I didn´t notice that the first 2 or 3 calibration attempts. Referring to Phantom 3 I had bevor, I didn´t even dare to think about moving the aircraft during IMU calibration. Then I had a closer look on the instruction in the app.

The Mavic appears to be folded acc to app. When powering him folded I got the magentic interfearence error promt from the compass system.

Bla bla bla... what I did:

- unfold Mavic (of course remove gimbal protectios)
- power controller, app & Mavic
- navigate to compass calibration and switch to IMU (in Go 4 App)
- fold Mavic and place it on flat surface as indicated
- hit button to start calibration
- watch picture and turn Mavic as indicated once requested by app

You´ll have to turn the Mavic to the sides, rear and back as shown and it will work.

Have fun, fly save.
aero

Reactions: dreadwing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic