Mars Lite parachute on Phantom 3

Reaction score
Hi all

I want to add a MARS P3 lite to my Phantom 3.
I THINK it can be used without their Mayday-addon. I hope so, because I am a little worried about random triggering.

I have seen the videos on youtube and that it is connected inside the craft to F2.
But how is it triggered then? A button? or automatically?
What is the precise trigger mechanism?

Or is the MAYDAY-addon mandatory?

Best regards
Jesper

From their FAQ on web site FAQ’s | Mars Parachutes
How Do I Deploy MARS Parachute Systems?

MARS parachute systems can be deployed via (2) specific functions:
#1: The parachute system can be deployed manually via a transmitter by utilizing an assigned switch that is connected to the MARS parachute servo.
#2: The MARS parachute system can be deployed by utilizing the all new “Mayday” auto deployment system, which autonomously deploys the parachute system when an aircraft anomaly occurs.
So the Phantom 3 is in no way able to handle #1 without addition of extra standard RC parts. On some other drones with standard RC, there would be way to drive the servo of the parachute. The P3 cannot do that.
#2 seems to be the single solution possible.
IMO it is provided in separate package (parachute, MAYDAY or parachute + MAYDAY) only because you can use the MAYDAY module on more than one P3 you could have.
So MAYDAY is mandatory.

Looks like it needs a bigger chute. Looks to still hit pretty hard in the videos.
The idea behind the parachute size of Mars products is to stop large-scale damage to the craft and objects below. They wanted to get the right balance between weight (flight time reduction) and functionality. (Users can become tempted to remove the parachute after many flights to increase their air time.)

But personally, on my Phantom I use a 40" chute with a Mars Lite for release since it can fit in the elastic band and doesn't increase the weight by much.

Last edited:
The idea behind the parachute size of Mars products is to stop large-scale damage to the craft and objects below. They wanted to get the right balance between weight (flight time reduction) and functionality. (Users can become tempted to remove the parachute after many flights to increase their air time.)

But personally, on my Phantom I use a 40" chute with a Mars Lite for release since it can fit in the elastic band and doesn't increase the weight by much.
Have you used it?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj