Marco Polo Saddlebag

Reaction score
I am not a reviewer of items by any stretch of the imagination. With that said I wanted to post this because of the awesome experience I had obtaining this Item.

I purchased a Marco Polo tracking unit, and watched a ton of video's about it. The conclusion I came to was everyone was basically duct taping/zip tying the transmitter to their landing gear. (Yuck what an eye sore!) The Phantom is such a great looking aircraft I didn't want to muck it up by taping something to it. After some research I found www.uavbits.net which offers 3D printed accessories for phantoms.

The saddle bag they typically offer is plane jane with nothing on it. Being the lazy person I am, and wanting to combine as much into 1 item (bang for the buck) I contacted the owner Clif, and requested to have my FAA number embossed on the bag as well. Clif being the gracious and personable person he is quickly obliged my request.

I have to say it is very nice. The lettering stands out nicely and is easy to read. The install was very easy (think it took me longer to find the tools then to do the install), and the directions were very concise. Quality of the item is great, appears very sturdy. My only complaint though extremely minor is the clearance on the top to remove/replace the cap is very tight. (though I am told this is by design to prevent the bag from opening)

Clif has stated this will be a permenant add on item for the P3/4 saddle bags with a small 5 dollar up charge of their normal price. For those who obsess over every gram they add to the AC, he even stated the lettering could be cut-out instead of embossed.

Here is how it looks on my AC:

I am in now way affliated with the company, just a customer. Its very rare anymore to find the level of customer care/service that I recieved from the owner of this comapnay, and just wanted to rave about his products and service.

If this is not allowed I apologize in advance (I did read the rules and saw nothing pertaining to this though), but I have been mistaken before and will be again I am sure!

Happy Flying all!

*edit* corrected the web address

Last edited:
When I saw picture I also thought recessed lettering 0.5-1mm deep. All that horrible US mandated drag yawing the flight path.

I guess you will be drilling a hole in it to drop the Marco Polo antenna throught it? It needs to extend straight. My advice is to drop it straight down. According to the manufacturer, the best signal acquisition is obtained with a vertical antenna orientation, worst with a horizontal orientation, and somewhere in between with a 45 degree orientation. Getting hung up in a tree or bush aside, a vertical mount will always result in a either a vertical or 45 degree antenna angle if it crashes or lands on the ground.

I guess you will be drilling a hole in it to drop the Marco Polo antenna throught it? It needs to extend straight. My advice is to drop it straight down. According to the manufacturer, the best signal acquisition is obtained with a vertical antenna orientation, worst with a horizontal orientation, and somewhere in between with a 45 degree orientation. Getting hung up in a tree or bush aside, a vertical mount will always result in a either a vertical or 45 degree antenna angle if it crashes or lands on the ground.

The lid has a oval shaped hole already, and there are 2 slots on the back side to extended the antenna out of if desired. Never thought to drop the antenna out the bottom, easy enough to pop a hole in the bottom though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: Dounin Front
The lid has a oval shaped hole already, and there are 2 slots on the back side to extended the antenna out of if desired. Never thought to drop the antenna out the bottom, easy enough to pop a hole in the bottom though. Thanks for the suggestion.

I mounted my Marco Polo on the side next to the louvers with velcro squares. The shape of the receiver tag is such that it does not block the louvers. The antenna points straight down for best reception/transmission. They say your P3 will most likely land right side up or upside down so this is best. The velcro holds nicely and can be easily removed.
I like your saddle bag. You might drill a hole in the bottom for the antenna to point down.
How does the saddlebag attach to the landing gear?
IMG_1119 (800x600).jpg

Oh ya forgot to mention that part. See told you I was not a reviewer!

The saddle attaches by removing the screws for the landing gear, the bracket then slips under with channels to pass the wires through. Included are longer screws to reattach with. Then spacers are added to the opposite side (also included). Great part is it adds about 1/4 inch more ground clearance. For those tall grass landings.

Reactions: Dounin Front
I am not a reviewer of items by any stretch of the imagination. With that said I wanted to post this because of the awesome experience I had obtaining this Item.

I purchased a Marco Polo tracking unit, and watched a ton of video's about it. The conclusion I came to was everyone was basically duct taping/zip tying the transmitter to their landing gear. (Yuck what an eye sore!) The Phantom is such a great looking aircraft I didn't want to muck it up by taping something to it. After some research I found www.uavbits.net which offers 3D printed accessories for phantoms.

The saddle bag they typically offer is plane jane with nothing on it. Being the lazy person I am, and wanting to combine as much into 1 item (bang for the buck) I contacted the owner Clif, and requested to have my FAA number embossed on the bag as well. Clif being the gracious and personable person he is quickly obliged my request.

I have to say it is very nice. The lettering stands out nicely and is easy to read. The install was very easy (think it took me longer to find the tools then to do the install), and the directions were very concise. Quality of the item is great, appears very sturdy. My only complaint though extremely minor is the clearance on the top to remove/replace the cap is very tight. (though I am told this is by design to prevent the bag from opening)

Clif has stated this will be a permenant add on item for the P3/4 saddle bags with a small 5 dollar up charge of their normal price. For those who obsess over every gram they add to the AC, he even stated the lettering could be cut-out instead of embossed.

Here is how it looks on my AC:

I am in now way affliated with the company, just a customer. Its very rare anymore to find the level of customer care/service that I recieved from the owner of this comapnay, and just wanted to rave about his products and service.

If this is not allowed I apologize in advance (I did read the rules and saw nothing pertaining to this though), but I have been mistaken before and will be again I am sure!

Happy Flying all!

*edit* corrected the web address

I have one for my P3P and it has the loose cover over the Polo. It has never fallen off. Just fyi. Nice job they did for sure. I'm going to check their website now and look around. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers