Marco Polo or Trackimo?

Reaction score
After a flyaway, and not recovering my Phantom 3 pro, I think it's best that I get either a Marco Polo or Trackimo to recover my phantom if it gets lost again. Reading certain threads, I'm not really seeing convincing arguments either way. I live in suburban NYC, in CT so cell phone signal is not a problem. I would like to take my phantom on vacations in the future, possibly Mexico or Brazil again, where cell phone signal could be erratic. However, if a flyway happens in a foreign country, I probably would just expect it a lost cause anyways.

Which one would be more accurate in my situation? Maybe I'm leaning towards the Trackimo, since I live in highly populated area. Which one would be easier to find in a tree? I'm pretty sure my P3 got stuck in a tree somewhere, which is why I could not find it, even though the flyaway happened only 1,200 ft away.

If you have good cell service in your flying area and you don't mind a monthly fee, Trackimo is the way to go. Make sure you get the new 3G version.

I use Marco (I fly where there is no cell) but I agree Trackimo would be easier to use and more accurate.

just wondering if using Marco along with the DJI flight logs would work almost as good as trackimo?

just ordered the trackimo on amazon today, the 2g for 110 bucks prime!

I talked to a rep from trackimo and he made sense, att might be shutting down their 2g service but verizon isn't, I live in a city with great cell coverage and because of that I chose the trackimo, rather not spend 250 bucks, thats a huge insurance policy that can do only 1 thing, track the drone and only for like a mile or 2, and in a heavily congested area I assume coverage for that wouldn't be as great as an open area.

I can also use the trackimo for other applications too!
for 100 bucks IMO that's expensive but at 250.00 no way, I mean how much is a new P3P just the aircraft? 600? @ 250.00 dollars for the marco its not even a guarantee I'll find it, if I was a couple miles away, the trackimo isn't either but I'd guess with great cell reception I'd have a better chance.

just ordered the trackimo on amazon today, the 2g for 110 bucks prime!

I talked to a rep from trackimo and he made sense, att might be shutting down their 2g service but verizon isn't, I live in a city with great cell coverage and because of that I chose the trackimo, rather not spend 250 bucks, thats a huge insurance policy that can do only 1 thing, track the drone and only for like a mile or 2, and in a heavily congested area I assume coverage for that wouldn't be as great as an open area.

I can also use the trackimo for other applications too!
for 100 bucks IMO that's expensive but at 250.00 no way, I mean how much is a new P3P just the aircraft? 600? @ 250.00 dollars for the marco its not even a guarantee I'll find it, if I was a couple miles away, the trackimo isn't either but I'd guess with great cell reception I'd have a better chance.
You should double check. The ATT 2G technology is GMS, the Verizon 2G is CDMA, two different incompatible technologies. I highly doubt Trackimo is compatible with both, but I may be wrong. The Amazon ad only mentions compatibility with GSM.

I'd suggest a 3G unit, if they offered it. I see nothing in the Trackimo website about releasing a 3G unit.. Good thing you can always return it to Amazon in the next 30 days if needed.

Last edited:
maybe it was t-mobile then, he said there were 2 other companies besides att that still use 2g. who knows though, they do have the 3g version its 180 bucks, I got the link earlier from the salesrep.

I have the Trackimo and at my residence it is marginal. I can relocate near a big city and it works fine. plus the good thing they also now using 3g network

In my experience. ..trackimo is to general...it will not get you even close to the bird...polo is very accurate up to inches. ...and there is no monthly fee...

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Losman,

I've got the Marco Polo's on 2 P3Pro's, a Solo and my FPV racer. I am in a very rural area most of the time. I ran some pretty good tests after first receiving the system. We sat down and planned out a make believe flight plan. I then had my wife take them in the car and hide three of them within 2-5 miles from HP. After she returned, I took off and found all 3 within about 20-25 minutes. I've had one real-world opportunity to use the system while doing a long distance run and it worked flawlessly. If you can get within 1 1/2 to 2 miles of the downed bird, it'll take you right to it as long as it doesn't go in the water.

Jerry

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Got a Trackimo last yr and never used it for my drones... But I absolutely love the thing for so many other uses that it's hard to pass for me. I drop it inside my bag during international (and even national) flights, I put it in my bikes for some suspect-area rides... Besides, I find it very useful and versatile that any of my friends, my parents, my girl or anyone in fact can track it down using the app, anywhere anytime. But maybe the Marco Polo is better for precise location of drones.

Losman,

I've got the Marco Polo's on 2 P3Pro's, a Solo and my FPV racer. I am in a very rural area most of the time. I ran some pretty good tests after first receiving the system. We sat down and planned out a make believe flight plan. I then had my wife take them in the car and hide three of them within 2-5 miles from HP. After she returned, I took off and found all 3 within about 20-25 minutes. I've had one real-world opportunity to use the system while doing a long distance run and it realworked flawlessly. If you can get within 1 1/2 to 2 miles of the downed bird, it'll take you right to it as long as it doesn't go in the water.

Jerry

Did the same thing with my Marco Polo tests. A friend drove out 2-3 miles from home and hid the bird. Each search was about 30 minutes once a signal was received and I walked right up to it. One test he really hid it under some brush, and laughed his butt off each time I walked by it. But I did find it. Eventually.

Since I don't have cell signal/GPS in some flying locations, the MP works best for me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Jtrjr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20