Marco Polo mounting ideas for P4

Reaction score
I just purchased a Marco Polo tracker and am looking for some mounting location advice from those that have already done so on their Phantom 4. Pictures would be welcomed as well.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm not familiar with the P4, but the landing gear is probably similar to previous models. Here's where I have it mounted on my P2V+. I chose this location based on a conversation with the manufacturer. Best signal strength received will be from a vertical antenna, worst will be from a horizontal one, and somewhere in between from an antenna at 45 degrees. So in thinking about how it might land after either an auto-land or a fall, it seems orienting the antenna along a landing leg will have it wind up either vertical at best and 45 degrees at worst. It cannot wind up horizontal to the ground in this position -- unless it gets hung up in a bush or tree. I'm just playing the odds here for the strongest signal possible. I attached it with a piece of Velcro.

Attachments

• tracker1a.jpg
    tracker1a.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 637
Reactions: jogforfitness
It's called a Marco Polo tracker. Basically works like a park ranger tracks a bear with a collar. The small unit on the Phantom emits a signal (you turn it on before you launch) and a hand held antenna device will lead you to it if it goes down. Works within a 2 mile radius, but that all depends on terrain. Even if it goes down beyond that distance, at least you can get in a car and start heading in the last known direction and hopefully pick up the signal. The plus is there is no monthly service charge. The negative is it isn't cheap. I just didn't want to be paying a monthly service charge during times I knew I wasn't going to be flying.

Whatever you do, don't install a gimbal guard on the 04 just to mount the Marco polo beacon. That will make your craft yoyo up and down 40-60' when you're in a hover.

I'm trying to mount it in a place that won't interfere with any sensor.

Yeah, the P4 has a number of sensors the P2V+ doesn't have. I don't know what frequency the MP antenna puts out or if it would interfere with any of those sensors. I was speaking strictly mounting orientation.

Gimbal guard.com has some pretty neet mounting solutions for gps. The marco polo has a 2 mile range and you need gsm service.

[QUOTE="The marco polo has a 2 mile range and you need gsm service.[/QUOTE]

That's incorrect. You do not need any cell service what so ever. It uses a radio signal, not a cell signal so there is no monthly service requirement. It does not use GPS, only radio signal strength and direction.

I stand corrected mixed up with trakimo. I would really like to get some feedback on how well they work in forested areas and around hills.

here is where I mounted my Marco Polo on my P4

I positioned mine on the other rear (inner) leg near top. Hoping it's close enough to leg and not an obstacle to any sensor. The inner leg has a decent flatish surface for Velcro. I'll apply zip ties before each flight. I have to remove the Marco Polo post flight otherwise it won't fit in my case. Not ideal but hopefully it'll work out.
9f78891ce9fbbfa8667fec4fc6a188c8.jpg

I liked the Velcro method on my Mavic so much that I decided to do the same with my P4. What's important to me is to have easy access to turn it on and off, easy to access the charge port, and easy to remove if needed. Velcro works really good.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik