Marco Polo dog tag mod?

Reaction score
I know the Marco Polo has an RC version of their transceiver, but I got a great deal on the dog tag version. Has anyone opened it up and compared the innards with the RC version?

The dog version can be sent to the factory to get the heavy plastic case removed and the dog antenna replaced with the smaller version tag antenna. There is an electronic component on the circuit board that has to be changed when changing the antenna. They will then cover the tag with shrink tubing like the smaller version. That way the best of both with the dog version having a beefier battery.

Reactions: Ti22
The dog version can be sent to the factory to get the heavy plastic case removed and the dog antenna replaced with the smaller version tag antenna. There is an electronic component on the circuit board that has to be changed when changing the antenna. They will then cover the tag with shrink tubing like the smaller version. That way the best of both with the dog version having a beefier battery.
Thank you Gary, I didn’t realize there was an alternative to purchasing $100 RC tag? I’m in the same boat with a pet tag and @ 46g w/housing it’s kind of a pig.

Reactions: Gary E
Thank you Gary, I didn’t realize there was an alternative to purchasing $100 RC tag? I’m in the same boat with a pet tag and @ 46g w/housing it’s kind of a pig.

Quick follow-up - contacted Marco Polo in Yorba Linda, CA and they were super nice about arranging to send my pet tag in to be converted into RC tag for $25 including return shipping.

They provide the option of keeping the larger battery for 23g package or they'll use smaller RC battery for 12g package. I opted for the smaller battery since weight is always a concern and it's probably a newer calendar life battery than the larger one in my older pet tag.

Thanks again for the idea!

Reactions: Fplvert

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj