Mapping... Why?

Reaction score
I've heard it said that the Phantom 4 Pro is THE platform for mapping. Why is this? What makes it better than any other drone (less than $5,000) when it comes to mapping?

I believe its more about the shutter. I have the Mavic 2 with the one inch sensor, but the word out there is that the P4P is better. You can get the job done with several other drones, just like taking pictures with other dji drones that only do 12mp. 20mp is better, but most people couldn't tell the difference.

Reactions: dronesky
1" sensor with mechanical shutter, very stable platform. Rolling shutters do cause motion blur as they cycle through a few feet of the motion of the drone. Mechanical is faster, so less blur. The 1" platform sensor on the DJI P4P is superior to everything out there for the price point. There are better sensors such as on the Matrice 600, but comparing $1500.00 vs $5700.00 drives a lot of folks to the "almost as good" category that the P4P dominates. At 150 feet you still get a relative GSD of approximately 1/2". Most of the time you don't even need it that tight. Always know what the standard is for your particular job though. My personal opinion is that if you need better than 0.1 feet accuracy then standard survey with the ground team is probably more efficient. For anything at or above 0.1 feet the drone is the way to do it. The ROI on $1500.00 is pretty fast when you cut even 4-6 field hours off a few jobs. You can certainly add it right back in at the office if you have little to no training on SFM software though. Steep learning curve if you're new at it. Good luck whatever you decide on!.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31