Map Storage for Search and Rescue

Reaction score
I live in Tooele County Utah. Cell phone coverage is sketchy at best. I need to store topo maps as well as satellite maps off line so Drone Deploy and DJI Go can access them. Add Hive Mapper to the list too.

Any recommended techniques that you all can suggest ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I live in Tooele County Utah. Cell phone coverage is sketchy at best. I need to store topo maps as well as satellite maps off line so Drone Deploy and DJI Go can access them. Add Hive Mapper to the list too.
Any recommended techniques that you all can suggest ?
The only maps available are what DJI supply. You won't be able to get topo maps on the app.
A little while back DJI swapped from Google Maps to Here maps which are quite inferior.
You can still use Google Maps if with use an older version of the app rather than the latest.
I can't remember which version ... it might be 2.9?

It's a simple matter to cache maps on your tablet when you are home or have wifi so they are available for flying later.

I absolutely need topo map info to keep from crashing into terrain while doing grid searches and flying up ravines etc. Does any mapping app or Litchi have ability to load topo information ?

Also wifi is not available in most area's of Tooele county. It is miles of miles and not too many souls. Time is of the essence and I need to maps loaded so I can study them while bouncing around in the back seat of the Command Truck.

I have a similar question... can I cache maps on my Nvidia shield K1, for use in quadding/snowmobiling in the boonies? Is there a user manual for the K1?

Also wifi is not available in most area's of Tooele county.
Wifi-only is only for loading / caching maps while still in the office / home. Out in the field, you will only get updated maps if you have a tablet / FPV device that has GPS.

You're not going to get TOPO info in the DJI Go app. You can pair your missions with another device that gives you the topo info, but there's nothing to link that with your bird.

I'm not saying that such a capability doesn't exist, but not in the DJI Phantom line-up, as far as I know**.

Chris

** I added "as far as I know" so that hopefully someone can come prove me wrong for your benefit. If that doesn't happen, I was right.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31