Map Cache vs Pilot App and Firmware Updates

Reaction score
Tomorrow i will be going to a remote location to do photography with my P3 Advanced. There are roads and rivers in the region, so naturally I want to cache a map of the area. First time for that. Great...

BUT....Sitting here at home before the trip to "cache the location" on my (Android) notebook, is there ANY DANGER AT ALL that the DJI servers will detect my current versions for the Go App, the Remote Control, and/or the Firmware and later "insist" that I update any of these?

I understand that normally the Pilot App may say "Update Required" and that really means Update RECOMMENDED (correct? I have ignored it, anyway). The thing is, I do NOT want to update anything now. I just want to cache a map and see you must open the Go App while connected to WiFi to do it. So here comes the paranoid part.

What experiences has anyone here had when caching a map and using older versions of the app, remote, or firmware? Since you are connected to WiFi, do the DJI servers jump in and intervene the next time you fly, in anyway at all? I have not cached a map before - flying only in open local areas near home so far - but do understand the instructions. It's just being forced to update anything I want to avoid. Everything is working perfectly well as is, thank you very much.

If this has been asked elsewhere in the forums, I could not find it. Apologies for that.

Thanks -
Phil
Phantom 3 Advanced;
DJI GO App 2.1.0 on Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro notebook (WiFi and GPS only);
Remote Controller firmware version 1.3.20
Aircraft Firmware Version 1.4.10

I understand that normally the Pilot App may say "Update Required" and that really means Update RECOMMENDED (correct? I have ignored it, anyway).
Firmware updates are always optional. You can ignore the update prompts in DJI GO if you don't want to install the updates.

Firmware updates are always optional. You can ignore the update prompts in DJI GO if you don't want to install the updates.
Okay, great! I take that to mean we can always completely ignore "Update Required" AND no updates will be forced (e.g., If you don't update, you cant even take off.)

Besides, with all the changes since my installed versions, I doubt if I could update correctly even if I had to; I understand using the apk file method has been abandoned in favor of strictly Google Play AND that the card insertion method has been abandoned in favor of going directly from your device via USB cord. Having to start from older versions, skip over incrementally newer versions, and then somehow install current versions I fear would be a multi step spaghetti mess. No clue, and no desire to go through a hundred posts of varying clarity to figure it out and succeed first time. I've scanned the threads and see the many problems and issues.

Thanks!
Phil

Last edited:
I take that to mean we can always completely ignore "Update Required" AND no updates will be forced (e.g., If you don't update, you cant even take off.)
That's correct.

When you're ready to update the firmware, use these instructions. If you follow them carefully, you should not have any trouble.

Thank you! All went well today.
And thanks for the excellent instructions if I ever do upgrade; I've got my POI and IOC and 2K video, so happy where things are for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic