Map Cache Limits

Reaction score
I've searched for the answers to these - but obviously not extensively enough because I am asking...

Does anyone have information about how much storage is allowed by the apps that support iPad/P3P?

Is the storage of cached maps managed by the app or by the device?

I am wondering because I am going to get an iPad air 2 and am weighing 64GB vs 128GB. I am leaning toward wifi only; I will be using the P3P primarily in locations that do not have any cell coverage.

We downloaded GO on my wife's iPhone 6, but was not able to dig very deep as it is not too easy to extricate the phone from her hand.

Many thanks!
NT

The map cache would be a tiny fraction of total space on either of those devices (as in 1/600th). But to answer your question, the map cache is managed by the app.

Reactions: huntjock
We downloaded GO on my wife's iPhone 6, but was not able to dig very deep as it is not too easy to extricate the phone from her hand.
I don't care who you are, that's some funny chit right there!

caching is handled by the maps app.. not DJIs app. And there is no way to manage that caching that I have ever found.

Reactions: huntjock
Yes, You can cache your maps with the iPad Air 2.
Well it's true that you need a Cellular version of an iPad Air to get GPS, it is not necessary to have a cell plan to utilize the built in feature it's just the unit which has it built in.
Hopefully that makes it a bit easier to understand.

Cellular version has GPS BUILT IN, non cellular does not have GPS.

RedHotPoker

am wondering because I am going to get an iPad air 2 and am weighing 64GB vs 128GB. I am leaning toward wifi only; I will be using the P3P primarily in locations that do not have any cell coverage.

I'm using an iPad Mini 2 (cellular model) that I picked off of eBay. I'm glad I went with the GPS version and no, I'm not going to bother with cell service for it. I pre-cache needed maps and when I open the Go app, it shows where I'm at, even before I fire up the Phantom systems.

S

What I do is browsing Google Maps at home (it's so cold outside, better warm than sorry). My galaxy tab is wifi only so this is not an option.
Maps are cached onto the tablet and whatever you do afterwards, cached maps will stay forever available for Dji Go (except of course if you decide to delete them).
BUT:
You need to browse ALL the surroundings you plan to fly over, at ALL zoom factors you plan to need during flight, and in ALL modes (plan, satellite, combined) you want to see the moment you fly.

This method works very well, but you can't rush anywhere anytime for a flight. You need some time to prepare it.

Caching has worked well on my (non cellular) iPad Air 2 but like already posted you have to "pre-cache". I havn't hit any limit yet. For those times i end up somewhere and forgot to cache the map, i just connect the iPad to my iPhone's hot-spot, cache the map, then go back to airplane mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues