map analysis help

Reaction score
TEST

Above is a link of an area I mapped. It seems like the elevation gradient doesnt quite match the 3D model.
The 3D model shows a few elevated mounds and the elevation data shows just a gradual decline in elevation.

Is that because of the resolution of the elevation scale?

I don't think that it's the resolution of the elevation, but in the colors. Load your dem map into something like qgis and look at profiles. Draw a line through he area of question and see what the profile looks like.
TEST

Above is a link of an area I mapped. It seems like the elevation gradient doesnt quite match the 3D model.
The 3D model shows a few elevated mounds and the elevation data shows just a gradual decline in elevation.

Is that because of the resolution of the elevation scale?

Did you figure out if you have a problem? How high above the surrounding terrain are the mounds. In my MME elevation maps, I can easily see things like parking barriers that are only 6-8 inches high. You mentioned 3D models, were they made from the same data set? If so, Color graduations should make the mounds visible. How high were you flying and with how much overlap. Looking at your map, I can see other small indentations and bumps, so you're getting good resolution. Are you sure that the mounds are really there? Nothing obvious in the ortho view.

The mounds are not very pronounced. They are pretty gradual. They are there in the 3D model and the OBJ file. I thought I would be able to see them in the color gradients.
How do I share the 3D model from MME?

3D TEST

This is the 3D model. The mound im talking about is in the upper middle area. Its a small hill/mound. Very gradual

Ok, I can see it in the 3d. Curious since the 3d is created from the elevation data. Yes, it is gradual, but I've seen more subtle changes in my elevation data. Unfortunately, I dont think that you can change the color sale in the MME map. Have to download it to another software and view it there to see if you can bring it out.

I think it defenitly is the color elevation scale. It only has increments of about 10ft. Anything smaller than that wouldn't show up as it's own color.

The color bar at the bottom is just the reference scale, you will get finer color gradations in the actual map. As an aside, maybe you can help me with an issue I'm having with MME. With my first P3A, my elevations were compressed. That is a building that was 8.5 ft on the side showed as 2-3! And my average height agl was down by about 40% (showing 120 ft when actually at 200). Flew a second P3A with the same firmware and the elevations are more nearly correct but average height now 150 not 200. All the log data shows that the bird flew where it was supposed to and the terrain is flat or sloping down. Not getting any satisfactory answers from MME. How does your info look (especially the average height)? Curiously, all of the ortho maps look very good, distances and 2d sizes are spot on!

a link of an area I mapped
Is your map showing up in the correct location? The basemap doesn't appear to match your UAV imagery. Curious because if the GPS data is errant, then it could be leading to incorrect model creation.

Ya it is in correct location. For some reason the base map changes imagery depending how much I zoom in, old vs newer imagery but it is in correct location

Ya it is in correct location.
Ok, just wanted to double check. You're right that the color DSM doesn't appear to be showing some of the subtleties that you would expect. For example, you can see the slight elevation difference between the walking paths and "runway" (what is that by the way?), so you should be able to see the bigger terrain features as well. The color legend is giving measurements, but it's still a gradation on the map.

Ok, just wanted to double check. You're right that the color DSM doesn't appear to be showing some of the subtleties that you would expect. For example, you can see the slight elevation difference between the walking paths and "runway" (what is that by the way?), so you should be able to see the bigger terrain features as well. The color legend is giving measurements, but it's still a gradation on the map.
you are correct, it is a runway..lol
I mapped the local RC park

Nice work! Have you tried experimenting with any of the professional software? Everyone has free trials for at least a month. You could compare those results to the MME maps.

I have thought about it. I might take advantage of those free trials with this free gig that I'm doing. It's 110 acres and I only have 2 batteries haha

The color bar at the bottom is just the reference scale, you will get finer color gradations in the actual map. As an aside, maybe you can help me with an issue I'm having with MME. With my first P3A, my elevations were compressed. That is a building that was 8.5 ft on the side showed as 2-3! And my average height agl was down by about 40% (showing 120 ft when actually at 200). Flew a second P3A with the same firmware and the elevations are more nearly correct but average height now 150 not 200. All the log data shows that the bird flew where it was supposed to and the terrain is flat or sloping down. Not getting any satisfactory answers from MME. How does your info look (especially the average height)? Curiously, all of the ortho maps look very good, distances and 2d sizes are spot on!

I haven't done any 3D measures. That's to bad MME can't figure it out, they designed it they should no everything about it.. lol ....
In the field I work in, I have found bugs that have made the software engineers say " that's impossible " so it doesn't surprise me you have not got a good answer.

I accidentally erase the base map URL in the MME app (map pilot ), how do I get it back ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4